Skip to main content

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban



I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a bookstagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be.

Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them.

Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head.

And now I've begun to shake my head, too.

Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even if I'm not feeling like a particular book at the moment, I still have plenty to choose from. But how often do I actually choose a book that I own?

School's starting up again soon, and I hardly get the chance to read the books I want to read during the school year. Why? Well, even though we have to read certain books in class, my school also requires us to read other books independently. This would be the perfect opportunity for me to read the books I own that I actually want to read, except my school uses a certain reading program. And, unfortunately for me, the books I want to read aren't usually on the program. (Yayy...)

And even if I somehow manage to read one book I own in a month or two, it doesn't make up for the two or three books I'm bound to buy. Therefore, even though it breaks my heart to say it, I think I finally need to go on a book-buying ban.

Details of My Book-Buying Ban:
  • If, for some reason, I need to buy a book for school (excluding independent reading books), I am allowed to do so.
  • I can still browse and look at books if I'd like to. There's no harm in just looking, right? (There absolutely is, because there's a possibility that I won't be able to control myself and I'll just impulsively buy a book, but let's not worry about that, okay?)
  • During my book-buying ban, I will try to read some of the books that I own but have not read
  • The ban will be dropped once I've finished reading a few of my books, or, more realistically, until I break and buy a book. (Because let's admit it: I'm probably going to find some way around this ban.)

But, I'm going to see what happens. My prediction is that I'll break after a month or so, or whenever I'm offered to go to a Barnes & Noble. (How could you go and not get a book?) My other guess is that there's an old Nancy Drew book somewhere and I just have to get it.

Oh, well. I guess only time will tell! Have you ever been on a book-buying ban? And if so, were you successful?



Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.