Skip to main content

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban



I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a bookstagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be.

Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them.

Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head.

And now I've begun to shake my head, too.

Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even if I'm not feeling like a particular book at the moment, I still have plenty to choose from. But how often do I actually choose a book that I own?

School's starting up again soon, and I hardly get the chance to read the books I want to read during the school year. Why? Well, even though we have to read certain books in class, my school also requires us to read other books independently. This would be the perfect opportunity for me to read the books I own that I actually want to read, except my school uses a certain reading program. And, unfortunately for me, the books I want to read aren't usually on the program. (Yayy...)

And even if I somehow manage to read one book I own in a month or two, it doesn't make up for the two or three books I'm bound to buy. Therefore, even though it breaks my heart to say it, I think I finally need to go on a book-buying ban.

Details of My Book-Buying Ban:
  • If, for some reason, I need to buy a book for school (excluding independent reading books), I am allowed to do so.
  • I can still browse and look at books if I'd like to. There's no harm in just looking, right? (There absolutely is, because there's a possibility that I won't be able to control myself and I'll just impulsively buy a book, but let's not worry about that, okay?)
  • During my book-buying ban, I will try to read some of the books that I own but have not read. 
  • The ban will be dropped once I've finished reading a few of my books, or, more realistically, until I break and buy a book. (Because let's admit it: I'm probably going to find some way around this ban.)

But, I'm going to see what happens. My prediction is that I'll break after a month or so, or whenever I'm offered to go to a Barnes & Noble. (How could you go and not get a book?) My other guess is that there's an old Nancy Drew book somewhere and I just have to get it.

Oh, well. I guess only time will tell! Have you ever been on a book-buying ban? And if so, were you successful?



Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?