Skip to main content

5 Activities to do on a Reading Break

You can't read forever. Even I, an experienced reader, get aching eyes after reading for even an hour. If you are like me and sometimes end up reading for several hours, you may find yourself not feeling too well. Of course, you could be like my co-blogger, Em, who surprises me by not appearing to be bothered at all by reading for several hours. And if you are not affected, that is great, but I have always preferred not to finish a book in a single sitting.

If you too get tired eyes or like to have a break, then be glad, for this post is completely dedicated to activities to do on these breaks!


Rest This may seem like a bit of an obvious choice, but it is important to remember when you are sitting in a now-dark room with your eyes glued open trying to finish this chapter, then this one, and--oh!--just a bit more....Resting is simple. All you have to do is put down your book, take a few deep breaths, and maybe close your eyes. (Warning: You may fall asleep.)

Talk Human interaction may be good if you have completely ignored everyone to read.

Visit Good Bookstagram Pages/Book Blogs When you are reading, you get in the book-ish mood, and I think that it's nice to stay in it! So why not catch up on some of your favorite #bookstagram pages or book blogs? (I highly recommend the blog Honest Book Talk; I absolutely love their reviews!)

Have a Snack or Something to Drink It's good to refuel, and it will give you the energy you need to read that book you must read for school by tomorrow. A healthy snack would probably be better, but if you must, indulge in some junk food.

Write Writing and reading are related, and once you have read a bit, it is possible that you may have inspiration to write! If you do not feel like writing a story, essay, etc., then you can at least write down several words or writing techniques that you liked in the reading.
With that, I hope that you all have a good time reading, and be sure to take a break now and then!

What's another fun thing to do on a reading break? Drawing! Check out the post Zentangle!
"Zentangle is a method of "tangling" different patterns together to create wonderful works of art. The idea is to allow patterns to flow into each other. While the intricate designs may seem to be too complicated, they actually are quite simple. If you look close enough, you'll realize that..." Read more

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...