Skip to main content

Blog Update - 03.17.17



As some of your probably know already, it was our one year anniversary for our bookstagram and blog this past Sunday! It’s amazing to think that in one year we were able to literally start from nothing to where we are now: 1,500+ followers on Instagram and more than 3,000 pageviews to the blog. We seriously can’t thank you all enough.


While our bookstagram certainly has done well, I think I owe an apology to you, our blog readers. I really haven’t kept up with the blog. Heck, my last blog post was back in January. That really isn’t good or fair for your guys. I think I want to change that.


Normally, I would write two blog posts a week. But trying to get two full blog posts of good quality with pictures is tiring and even difficult for me during the summer, when I don’t have school to worry about. Trying to do that during school too was an unrealistic expectation for myself. I”m going to finally put that to an end.


Starting next week, I will try to always have a post up every week, but I’ll keep it at that: just a single post. Since I planned for the Navigating Bookstagram series to post every other Monday, I will stick to Monday as my posting day. After all, back in the very beginnings of our blog when Em still wrote posts, Monday was my day. For monthly reflections, I'll post on the first Friday of the month, so that you still get all of your regular posts on Mondays.

Eventually, I’ll switch over to two posts a week once summer rolls around, as I’ll have more time then. And when fall comes along with school, I’ll switch back to one post a month. I think that’s about fair, eh?

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - Feature Accounts

In my more recent Navigating Bookstagram posts, I discussed SFS's, one way that you can increase the amount of attention your page gets. But another really helpful way to do so is to get featured on a bookstagram feature account. I know, I know: it sounds impossible, but it's worth it.

A bookstagram feature account is exactly what it sounds like. It's an account that's sole purpose is to feature other bookstagrammer's work (I say other because, usually, these accounts are run by other bookstagrammers). There are a lot of accounts out there, and they pick pictures/accounts to feature based off of the pictures. Some accounts have certain themes such as outdoor pictures or flatlays. Accounts like these are not only a good way for you to get your content put out there, but also a great way for you to potentially find other accounts with content you like.

How to Participate Okay. So how do you get featured on one of these feature accounts? Usually there are instruction…

Barnes & Noble Haul - 02.04.17

On the fourth of February, Em and I made another trip to Barnes & Noble, and I thought I would share what we got! Together, we got a total of three books and two little blind boxes!

Looking around the store, it was a bit difficult to pick exactly what it was I wanted. I mean, there’s such a large selection! Sure, I’ve seen most of the books before, but there’s always ones that I’m thinking about reading later. And then there’s the question of if I want to buy the book, or give it a try first with my library’s copy of it. (If they even have it!)

There were some sections I knew I could skip over. That’s the first step towards progress. For me, that was skipping the usual fantasy-action-“I must save the world” type of teen book. (Sorry. They’re just not my thing.) I also could pass by this table of popular teen books, which mostly had those type of books.

On my book-searching journey, there was also books that I have read, such as The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. When I …

Book Review: The Light Between Oceans

Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M. L. Stedman Genre: Historical Fiction/Drama Rating: ∞ out of 5 stars Reviewer: Julia


Okay, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give a book infinity out of 5, but I'm going to do it because this book was that good. I have never cried so much or intensely over a single book. (I cried throughout the book and in one consistent stream for the last 50 pages.) I am so in love with it that I have made a shrine of sorts (still looking for a better term for it) on top of my dresser dedicated to it. (Em even contributed to this shrine by making me a lovely drawing of the cover of the book!)

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - The Truth About Bookstagram

As you, my fellow bookstagramers know, bookstagram can be a pretty tough place to gain attention. While we all love books a great deal (after all, we did dedicate a whole account just to the art of being a bookworm), in the end, popularity might boil down to what you've read or your picture quality. Tough stuff right there.

I mean, we all love books, so why should it matter which ones we read? So what if we don't read the most popular books on bookstagram? Those dystopian YA books with futuristic societies or tons of action? Who ever said that classic books were bad? And, no, I'm not just talking about those Puffin classics with the beautiful covers - but the ones with less visually appealing covers, too.

Who said that our pictures necessarily had to be good? I mean, sure - this is Instagram we're talking about, a social media network built upon pictures - but when did we let that get in the way of what we came here to do? When did we let a less popular style or "…