Skip to main content

Summer 2017 Challenge - Update



Back in early July, I published a post titled "Summer 2017 Challenge - Reading Popular YA Books", in which I explained that, this summer, I wanted to challenge myself to read some books I don't typically read. Actually, these books are what a lot of bookstagrammers read — the more popular young adult fiction books that tend to be of the fantasy genre. These books include well-known series such as Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and The Mortal Instruments series, as well as stand-alone titles such as Thirteen Reasons Why (a controversial one, however, due to the Netflix series adaptation) and Anna and the French Kiss. And it's not that I hate all young adult books. I just tend to not read ones more centered around fantasy and romance.

But I wanted to read some of these books and give them another shot. Because every book is different, right? And I know that everyone has their own preferences, and that's perfectly okay! Like I said in my last post, "having different preferences in books is perfectly okay." For no reason should someone read a genre or book they don't like just because someone says they should or because they want to be diverse in their reading. It's good to give everything a shot, but in the end, you're going to like what you like, and yes, taste changes over time, but you're still going to have some sort of preference. And no one can change that.

So, no: I didn't want to read these books out of peer pressure. I wanted to read them to 1) know what in the world people were talking about on bookstagram, and 2) give them another shot. I could use something else, and, besides, the last time I tried reading one of "these books" (note: they're pretty much book types I'm not as fond of; they're different from one another so I can't really find a better term for them) was maybe a year or so ago.

But did I do it? Nope.

Things just sorta... came up, and I didn't have the time to get them out of the library. Not to mention that I couldn't even read the books I really wanted to read due to a large reading slump that bothered me for most of the summer.

So, what am I to do now? Just never try to read these books? No, I think I'm going to try, even if it isn't the ideal time for doing so (hello, school). The last time I did this, I read the book on the side, sort of as my book to read before bed and in-between readings of my other, more serious (I say serious because I was more seriously reading it, more involved, interested, etc.) current read. Of course, if I do decide to pick up a more lengthy and complicated young adult novel, then I'd probably save it for a weekend and make it my weekend book, reading it alone without another current read. But, unless it's the Donna Tartt of YA fiction, I'll probably read it on the side.

Will I actually do this? Only time will tell. But I do want to read these books, or, at the least, do some research and find out what everyone is talking about.


Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.