Skip to main content

Navigating Bookstagram: Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - Introduction


Hello, everyone! How are you all today? As most of you probably know already, Em and I have a bookstagram (bookish Instagram account) where we share pictures of books and our love for reading! The bookstagram community is actually pretty large (the largest account I have found so far has 200k followers), and while it’s full of great and wonderful people, it can also be a bit intimidating and scary for newbies and smaller accounts alike.

We’ve been on bookstagram for about seven months now, give or take, and have gotten more used to the swing of things on bookstagram. While there’s still so much for us to learn, we do know quite a few things that should prove to be useful to beginners and fellow smaller accounts. (I know that we have 1.1k, but if an account with 3.8k account I was talking to considers themself, then I think we count.) That’s why I’ve created this little series of posts where I plan to share some of my own stories every other Monday. Us smaller guys have to stick together, right?


"Us smaller guys have to stick together, right?"

First, let’s start with a little introduction, okay?

My name is Julia, and I run the bookstagram @readingisinevitable along with my best friend/twin sister, Em. (Yes: our relationship is finally revealed!) I run the blog, however, unless she goes and writes a blog post which is such a nice treat. We run the bookstagram together; a weird combination of her taking pictures, me editing and posting them, along with interacting with others, and both of us planning the pictures.

We started our bookstagram on March 13th, and since then have posted 214 pictures (in which only some are good), and gained about 1,100 followers (the number dances around 1,115 and 1,120 due to unfollowers).

When our bookstagram was still young, we had no idea what we were doing. Our pictures were not set up nicely for we didn’t yet know what kind of angles and layouts looked good for books, and something went wrong during the editing stage:



Em had also followed about 100 people in a manner of minutes (we were actually blocked from following people for a little over a week because of that). At the time, I was upset with her for following so many people at once, but now I see that maybe that was a good thing, because 1) we found bookstagram (originally we were just making an Instagram for our blog), and 2) we got a good taste of what people liked, even if it was a bit of a scary thing at first.

I mean, there were so many accounts that have already been in the game already, and I was looking at book after book that I had not even heard of before. I had thought that we were just going to create a little Instagram for our blog, but what I didn’t realize was that there was already such a large and active bookish community on Instagram. It was overwhelming, definitely, and I found myself wondering, What in the world did we just get ourselves into?

Looking at all of these accounts, I realized that we weren’t just going to need to post advertisement for blog posts but also additional book pictures. There was the question of when to post, how much to post, photo challenges, shoutout-for-shoutouts, and loads more. It was obvious that this wasn’t going to be as easy as we thought it was.


"It was obvious that this wasn't going to be as easy as we thought it was."

And even once I adjusted to the whole bookstagram idea, there were still more obstacles to hurdle. You aren’t going to gain 1,000 followers in two weeks. (While I have seen that done in the past, it’s near impossible.) There’s going to be unfollowers, too: lots and lots of them. And there’s even going to be low people who steal pictures and repost them without proper credit.

In the beginning, we just had to run with it and pretend like we knew what we were doing. We had to learn a bit here and there, and we’re still learning. Hopefully, by making this little blog series, this journey will be easier for you. And if you’ve been here for a while and sit in the same boat we’re in, hop along too: there’s still much more exploring we’ve got to do.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - Feature Accounts

In my more recent Navigating Bookstagram posts, I discussed SFS's, one way that you can increase the amount of attention your page gets. But another really helpful way to do so is to get featured on a bookstagram feature account. I know, I know: it sounds impossible, but it's worth it.

A bookstagram feature account is exactly what it sounds like. It's an account that's sole purpose is to feature other bookstagrammer's work (I say other because, usually, these accounts are run by other bookstagrammers). There are a lot of accounts out there, and they pick pictures/accounts to feature based off of the pictures. Some accounts have certain themes such as outdoor pictures or flatlays. Accounts like these are not only a good way for you to get your content put out there, but also a great way for you to potentially find other accounts with content you like.

How to Participate Okay. So how do you get featured on one of these feature accounts? Usually there are instruction…

Barnes & Noble Haul - 02.04.17

On the fourth of February, Em and I made another trip to Barnes & Noble, and I thought I would share what we got! Together, we got a total of three books and two little blind boxes!

Looking around the store, it was a bit difficult to pick exactly what it was I wanted. I mean, there’s such a large selection! Sure, I’ve seen most of the books before, but there’s always ones that I’m thinking about reading later. And then there’s the question of if I want to buy the book, or give it a try first with my library’s copy of it. (If they even have it!)

There were some sections I knew I could skip over. That’s the first step towards progress. For me, that was skipping the usual fantasy-action-“I must save the world” type of teen book. (Sorry. They’re just not my thing.) I also could pass by this table of popular teen books, which mostly had those type of books.

On my book-searching journey, there was also books that I have read, such as The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. When I …

Book Review: The Light Between Oceans

Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M. L. Stedman Genre: Historical Fiction/Drama Rating: ∞ out of 5 stars Reviewer: Julia


Okay, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give a book infinity out of 5, but I'm going to do it because this book was that good. I have never cried so much or intensely over a single book. (I cried throughout the book and in one consistent stream for the last 50 pages.) I am so in love with it that I have made a shrine of sorts (still looking for a better term for it) on top of my dresser dedicated to it. (Em even contributed to this shrine by making me a lovely drawing of the cover of the book!)

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - The Truth About Bookstagram

As you, my fellow bookstagramers know, bookstagram can be a pretty tough place to gain attention. While we all love books a great deal (after all, we did dedicate a whole account just to the art of being a bookworm), in the end, popularity might boil down to what you've read or your picture quality. Tough stuff right there.

I mean, we all love books, so why should it matter which ones we read? So what if we don't read the most popular books on bookstagram? Those dystopian YA books with futuristic societies or tons of action? Who ever said that classic books were bad? And, no, I'm not just talking about those Puffin classics with the beautiful covers - but the ones with less visually appealing covers, too.

Who said that our pictures necessarily had to be good? I mean, sure - this is Instagram we're talking about, a social media network built upon pictures - but when did we let that get in the way of what we came here to do? When did we let a less popular style or "…