Skip to main content

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - Losing Followers (Story)



Hey there, everyone. I realized that this series is called "Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account", even though I don't often post about my own experiences on bookstagram. Last time I tied in both our story and some helpful information to make a post, but today, I decided to specifically talk about something that is happening to us. The hopeful idea is that, by sharing my story with you, you can maybe learn and avoid some things and we can get to the bottom of this.

The bottom of what, you may ask? Well, I'll tell you...

So, as you know if you follow our bookstagram or read my last Navigating Bookstagram post, we were previously inactive on bookstagram. For a long...long...long...time. Before starting to post again on the 9th, we were inactive for a month. And before we posted those three pictures in late June to early August, we were inactive for another month before that. So, minus three pictures, we were pretty much inactive for two months. (Mostly my fault.)

During that period of time, Em and I didn't really do anything. Didn't update our story much. Didn't like or comment on other bookstagrammers' posts. We didn't even take any new pictures. We just...ignored bookstagram all together.

Okay, that's a lie. I did play around with different editing styles and techniques a bit. And, eventually, I found something that I liked.

So, I decided that it's about time that we (I) start posting again. I opened up the Instagram app and switched from my personal account to our bookstagram account. And that's when I realized that we had lost over 30 followers; over 40 if you exclude the three posts from early-June/late-August and combine both months of inactivity.

In the past, when we were inactive, we lost maybe 10 or 15 followers, which is actually really lucky for us, because we have been inactive for good periods of time before. But this was something new for us. We were getting closer to dropping down from 1.6k to 1.5k, a number we haven't had for months.

So, five days ago, I posted again hoping to not only prevent unfollowers, but to get back into the community and to hopefully save me from my reading slump. (Spoiler alert: my book soon got interesting, so that's taken care of.) But, while the last two things did, happily, happen, the first didn't quite come true.

To my surprise, people actually unfollowed after I posted again. After I posted again, we had a few prompt unfollowers. Now, I don't know if you remember, but in the introduction to this little blog series, I had said that there were going to be unfollowers, "lots and lots of them." And yet, I haven't exactly talked about unfollowers.

To start off, I would like to explain something. I know that I've talked about how bookstagram shouldn't just be about likes and followers and popularity, and it isn't. It's about books and community. But these particular unfollowers hurt me because this felt like a personal insult to what I was doing. You see, I had decided to use a new editing style. And it seemed that people weren't liking it.

After that, I was unsure what to do. Do I continue on with this editing style? Or do I go back to the old one to satisfy followers? In the end, I decided to continue on with what I was doing. It made me happy, and it made Emily happy, and that's what matters, isn't it? Because why would you want tons and tons of followers if you're not going to even like the content you're putting out there?

Because why would you want tons and tons of followers if you're not going to even like the content you're putting out there?

The second picture that I posted with the editing style was received better, and it made me feel better, too.

So, what's the point of all of this, exactly? I guess it's just a long way for me to say...

Don't worry about the unfollowers. It's natural. Not everyone is going to like what you're going to do. But as long as you like what you're doing and you're having fun doing it, then go ahead. Just be you in all your glory.




Check out the next Navigating Bookstagram post, "Instagram Business Tools", or take a look at the Navigating Bookstagram tag.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.