Skip to main content

All the Books I Own But Have Not Read (Part 2)



About one and a half weeks ago, I published the first part of this little two-part post, in which I listed 12 books that I own but have not read. Now it's time for me to list the other half of books that I have not read, and let me tell you this: the list is even longer than I thought.

In my last post, I said that I had around 23 or 24 books in total, and it turns out that I have 24 books in my collection that I have not read.

13. The Melted Coins by Franklin W. Dixon (The Hardy Boys series)
This is another book that I got from Em as a gift. It's a part of her tradition to give me a book on holidays or birthdays. So far, they're mostly old Nancy Drew or Hardy Boy books, but I did get one other book as I mentioned in part 1.

14. Crossed by Ally Condie
Crossed is the second book of the Matched trilogy that you may not have seen a bit around bookstagram. Or maybe you even read it or don't know about it at all. It's another one of your futuristic societies that's secretly corrupt and battling the rebellious teens sort of book. It also has a bit of a romance element tied into it, because it's the whole act of matching — being paired with the perfect spouse — that get's main character Cassia Reyes in a whole bunch of trouble. While I didn't mind the first book and probably would have gone on to read the second and third book, I had to stop reading Crossed because it wasn't a part of my school's reading program. That was a little over two and a half years ago and I still haven't finished it. (At this point I'd have to reread Matched, too.)

15. The Hidden Window Mystery by Carolyn Keene
This was an old Nancy Drew book that I got for myself at a local antique shop's closing sale a few months back. As I've mentioned before in other blog posts, I like to collect older Nancy Drew books (preferably the first editions, of course... heh heh).


16. Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
Tuesdays With Morrie is a book that I've wanted to read for a bit now, so you can imagine that I was happy to receive it as a birthday gift a few months ago! Although, as my friend warned me, it is very sad. Still, I am excited to read it and hope to do so soon.

17. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
Even though I've heard about this book countless times, I only really thought that it was okay for me to read (I know it was originally for adults) after reading an amazing book review over at Honest Book Talk that completely changed my mind. (If you go to the book review, you can even see my glowing comment at the bottom!) Still, I only got the book for myself relatively recently, and still haven't gotten the chance to read it.

18. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
I had an opportunity to read this book almost two years ago in school with a few other students, but we chose to read To Kill A Mockingbird instead. (And I'm glad I did — it was a great book!) Still, I did have an interest in this book as well. And, when I picked it up off my teacher's shelf to read during testing, I had no idea how much I'd like it! I only got to read a few pages of it, but after doing so, I knew I wanted to read it and bought it on my next trip to Barnes & Noble.

19. We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
I also got this book on that trip. I remember when I was first introduced to the book. Rachel from @never_too_many_books on Instagram was advertising it on her bookstagram, and I remembered her post when I saw it in the bookstore and bought it. It's said to be an emotional teenage book about friendships, and while I haven't read it yet I can say that I did like the first few pages that I have read!

20. Great Short Works of Edgar Allan Poe arrangement and criticism by G. R. Thompson; written pieces by Edgar Allan Poe
I have read bits and pieces of this one, but I only have gotten through some of the poems and haven't even begun to read the short stories! So far, I've loved Edgar Allan Poe for his haunting and beautiful poetry, and I've heard great things about his short stories. I'm also hoping that the criticism section will give me more ideas about his work.

21. Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
I'm sure you've heard something about this story at least once in your life, whether it be about the book itself or the musical. And while I don't have anything against the book, it's just so incredibly long, and I don't know when I'll have enough time to read it regularly so I can remember everything!

22. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I bought this book a while ago and was excited to read it, yet somehow never got around to doing so. (What a surprise.) I do hope to read it soon, however, because it has gotten good praise and is another coming-of-age story (which I'm fond of).

23. Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett
I got this book about two weeks ago on a trip to the bookstore. (I know, I know: Even though I have plenty of unread books, I continue to buy more and more!) I've always liked novels that explore relationships and the connections between people. Now, according to its synopsis, the book "brings alive a mother's constant love, the inescapable devotion of siblings, and the legacy of a father's pain", all while telling "ferociously intimate story of a family facing the ultimate question: how far will we go to save the people we love the most?" (I think I'll enjoy this one.)

24. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
This book was actually recommended to me by a teacher I had last school year. I never saw it before in Barnes & Noble, but when I went there two days ago, it was sitting on a table along with a few other books that I was interested in. So I hope to read it and see if I like the book as much as he hoped I would.



And that wraps up all the books I own but have not read! (Or at least I hope that I got everything!) Maybe if I could just quickly finish up my current read (a beautiful book by Kristin Hannah titled The Nightingale), I can get started on these beauties! Do you have a lot of books too? Or do you read your books the moment you buy them? Until next time,


Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

2017 Reading Goals

So, since 2017 is officially here (and has been for about two weeks), I figured I might as well post about our reading goals for the year! I'll also attempt figuring out all of the books I read in 2016, but I know it'll be far from accurate as I did not write it down and I know I won't remember everything! For 2016, I actually didn't make any reading goals. I just wanted to finish one book a month, I guess! I can happily say that I did complete this very small goal of mine. (Some people aim for 100 books a year!)