Skip to main content

2017 Reading Goals - Update



Now that we're more or less halfway through 2017, I decided that it's about time to do a little update on how well Em and I are doing with the reading goals we made for ourselves at the beginning of 2017. We didn't make our goals extremely specific. All we did was choose a number based on how much we wanted to read and what seemed reasonable based on how much we knew we had read in 2016. And now it's time to reflect on those goals... oh boy.

I honestly don't think things are going well for Em. When I asked her if she remembered her original goal, she had no clue. (It was 50 books!) But, after a few months with only one book finished at the end of each one, she had lessened her goal to a more reasonable 30. (She couldn't remember this number, either!) Drawing knowledge from my experience with my monthly goals for Reading is Inevitable, I don't think that you can do all too well if you don't remember your goals. And it looks like this is true for Em as well.

"Horribly," she said when I asked her how she thought she was doing. "I think my problem is, I read books fairly quickly when I have them on hand. But I haven't been reserving books from the library or having books around me that I'm really interested in. So I haven't been reading... basically." 

And is she proud of herself? "Nope. Not at all." But, "there's always next year!"

(Emily, there's also the rest of this year!)

Although I can't blame her. Am I happy with how I'm doing? Eh, not really. I know that my goal is to read 36 books (about 12 more than last year... what was I thinking?) and that I've read about 24 so far. But that includes graphic novels. While I didn't specifically write this in my original post, "2017 Reading Goals", I would preferably hit the 36-book goal without the inclusion of graphic novels. I apologize to anyone who enjoys them, but I think we can all agree that it is easy to read a graphic novel faster than a novel. Since I think I've only read 12 books that aren't graphic novels, that would mean that I have to read 24 books -- the total number of books I read in a year -- in a bit less than half a year. So am I proud of myself? No. 

Looking at the actual numbers, Em needs to read 18 more books to complete her 30-book goal. I need to read 10 books minimum if I want to reach my 36-book goal (or 22 books without graphic novels, which is better than I thought, at the least). 

Now, what books have we read, exactly? Well...

Books Em Has Read in 2017 (so far!)
  1. The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan 
  2. Every Day by David Levithan
  3. The Odyssey adaptation by Geraldine McCaughrean
  4. Attack on Titan: Before the Fall - Book 1 by Ryo Suzukaze
  5. The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
  6. Wake by Lisa McMann
  7. Fade by Lisa McMann
  8. Gone by Lisa McMann
  9. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
  10. Eliza and her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
  11. The Way I Used I Used to Be by Ellen Hopkins
  12. Another Day by David Levithan 
Do you know what Em and I found out when I was typing in this list? She had added a book that she didn't even read! "Wait, what is this book?" I asked. "Did you even read it? I don't remember it. What is this book?" She must have gotten her TBR list confused with the list of books she actually has read. That got us laughing for a long time!

Books Julia Has Read in 2017 (so far!)
  1. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
  2. Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs
  3. The Odyssey adaptation by Geraldine McCaughrean
  4. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah
  5. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware
  6. Attack on Titan - Volume 1 by Hajime Isayama
  7. Attack on Titan - Volume 2 by Hajime Isayama
  8. Attack on Titan - Volume 3 by Hajime Isayama
  9. Attack on Titan - Volume 4 by Hajime Isayama
  10. Attack on Titan - Volume 5 by Hajime Isayama
  11. Attack on Titan - Volume 6 by Hajime Isayama
  12. Attack on Titan - Volume 7 by Hajime Isayama
  13. Attack on Titan - Volume 8 by Hajime Isayama
  14. Attack on Titan - Volume 9 by Hajime Isayama
  15. Attack on Titan - Volume 10 by Hajime Isayama
  16. The Raven and Other Poems by Edgar Allan Poe 
    • (I don't remember who arranged the poems, however!)
  17. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
  18. Jackaby by William Ritter
  19. Attack on Titan - Volume 11 by Hajime Isayama
  20. Attack on Titan - Volume 12 by Hajime Isayama
  21. Wired Man and Other Freaks of Nature Sashi Kaufman
  22. Blindness by José Saramago
  23. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
  24. I Wrote This For You by Iain S. Thomas
  25. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseinei
  26. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

So, as you can see, we both still have some way to go. But then again, we still have the rest of the year, right? Right?

...

Well, that's all for today's post! If you have your own reading goals for this year, feel free to tell me about them down below in the comments section! Hopefully you're doing a bit better than we are! 



Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.