Skip to main content

Barnes & Noble Haul - 02.04.17

On the fourth of February, Em and I made another trip to Barnes & Noble, and I thought I would share what we got! Together, we got a total of three books and two little blind boxes!

Looking around the store, it was a bit difficult to pick exactly what it was I wanted. I mean, there’s such a large selection! Sure, I’ve seen most of the books before, but there’s always ones that I’m thinking about reading later. And then there’s the question of if I want to buy the book, or give it a try first with my library’s copy of it. (If they even have it!)

There were some sections I knew I could skip over. That’s the first step towards progress. For me, that was skipping the usual fantasy-action-“I must save the world” type of teen book. (Sorry. They’re just not my thing.) I also could pass by this table of popular teen books, which mostly had those type of books.

On my book-searching journey, there was also books that I have read, such as The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. When I had first read it four years ago, I didn’t like it much because I was bothered by the main character’s ignorance. (I know that was the whole point of his character, but it bothered me still.) However, whenever I see the special anniversary copy of the book with the amazing art, I always wonder if I should buy it and give it another shot. (Talk about buying it for the cover!)

There were also ones that just happened to catch my eye.

As I was looking, it wasn’t long before Em announced that she was done. That she had found everything she wanted and she was ready to go. And I had nothing.

She had picked out the book Every Day by David Levithan. The story is about teenager A, who wakes up every day in someone else’s body. Every morning, they figure out who they are and prepare to live a day in someone else’s life. They try to keep things normal for the person, acting how that person might act, even though they are still themself and might not like the person they’re stuck with. And then one day - day 5,994, in fact - they meet a girl. And they fall in love. Now, A has something to live for, but the problem is, are they allowed to love? Is it too dangerous to love for a person in their position?

[Is that okay? I haven’t read the book and made it up as I went along.]

She also decided to get two blinds boxes: One was a Kid Robot Barnes & Noble Exclusive Labbit blind box, and one a Neko Atsume blind box that she got for me (aww).

But, moving on: panic time. I had nothing. She had everything. I didn’t want to hold them up. Panic panic panic.

Soon I was flying through the shelves. There had to be something I liked, right? But I’m so picky! Eventually, after running around the aisles a bit and a cute yet strange encounter with a toddler (kinda long story that I’ll save for later), I had picked up two books.

The first book that I got was In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware, a book I had actually stumbled upon earlier and started reading but had delayed confirming my purchase because it’s not the type of book I normally read. It’s a psychological thriller, something that someone like me, a person who typically reads historical fiction, coming of age, and introspective-type books, would normally stray away from. But this one not only has a thrill/horror feel to it, but also has to do with relationships and secrets, something I can find interesting. To add, the reviews, which claimed that it was the type of book that you stayed up all night reading (although reading a scary book at night probably isn’t the best idea), drew me in. I also must admit that I thought the cover would, at the least, look nice in bookstagram pictures. (And it's a good thing I bought it, because I did enjoy it and I do recommend it if you want an exciting and interesting book!)

Still, I wasn’t done. I wanted more. (A bookworm’s problem, eh?) Once again I was in search of an amazing book when, thank goodness, I found the gem of a book that is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Now, I don’t know what you’re doing if you haven’t heard of this book, because I know that I’ve heard great things about it. Chbosky’s book is more like what I read: a coming of age story about wallflower Charlie as he tries to navigate his life and growing up. It’s an award-winning book that can even be found on the “Best Books Ever” list on Goodreads.

With that, we were done.

Em ended up getting an adorable polka-dotted labbit from her blind box…

...and I got Ms.Fortune in all her glory from mine!

I loved In a Dark, Dark Wood, and, while I still haven’t read my Perks, I look forward to it. And, as for Ms.Fortune, she has a very special spot on my bookcase headboard*!

*Thank you to the glossary of terms used by Ashley HomeStore for this one, haha.



I never got to explain what happened about the blog post that never published two weeks ago. I got sick Sunday (which then continued on into the beginnings of the week), and, while I already had the post written, I had planned on scheduling and tweaking the post on Sunday. But, as you know, I was sick, so I didn't get to do that and ended up not posting. Sorry! Next week's post may or may not be the book review I was going to publish. Things are still undecided. Sorry for any trouble!


Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on

2017 Reading Goals

So, since 2017 is officially here (and has been for about two weeks), I figured I might as well post about our reading goals for the year! I'll also attempt figuring out all of the books I read in 2016, but I know it'll be far from accurate as I did not write it down and I know I won't remember everything! For 2016, I actually didn't make any reading goals. I just wanted to finish one book a month, I guess! I can happily say that I did complete this very small goal of mine. (Some people aim for 100 books a year!)

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.