Skip to main content

October 2016 Reflection



I wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to make an October Reflection for this month. After all, I didn't really do anything this month. It was a "break" or just a little "gap". This past month doesn't count, right?

That's where I decided to go ahead and write a reflection. This month wasn't an intentional break month. I didn't make a notice in advance for everyone to know. I didn't even know myself that this was going to happen. But it happened, and, since it's a tradition to do these little monthly reflections, there should be no excuse.

Moving on, if you have not been around for our past monthly reflections, I would recommend that you of course look at our past ones (that is, if you're interested in these). I'll also give you a little summary about what we do: In these reflections, I look back on how our blog and bookstagram (Instagram + books) did as well as give a sneak peek into our blog and bookstagram in the coming month.


Looking Back Into October


The Blog
So, funny story: I didn't exactly work on the blog much in October? As a result, our pageviews dropped significantly, by about 77%, in fact. That is extremely bad. It certainly is well-deserved, but I hope to never have another month like this past one again. Only two posts were published in the whole month. (And I missed my chance at a Halloween post, since it was on one of our posting days.)

Instagram
Luckily for all of those people who follow us on Instagram, I did keep up with this. Unfortunately, I forgot to write down the exact number of followers we had at the end of the month, but I believe we had around 950 followers. This means that we gained a bit under 250 followers this month, which is around the same amount as last month. I think the trick is finally nailing an editing style and participating in Shoutout for Shoutouts (a.k.a sfs).


We also successfully participated in @commasandampersands on Instagram's October 2016 photo challenge, #ampersandoct16. One of our photos was even featured in the weekly overview of the challenge:

(Above: the picture that was featured on @commasandampersands's page.)

Goals
I did not make goals for October because, well, I didn't actually write my September 2016 Reflection until late October, and thus never made any goals for October.

Coming Up in November


The Blog
I'm currently planning a handful of posts, which include a book review on On Writing by Stephen King, a book review on Salt to the Sea, a post/posts on little lessons from On Writing, and a book review on The Handmaid's Tale, along with some other ideas in the making. While I do have all of these ideas, I am not sure when I want to post them, so these may or may not be posted this month.

I also plan on possibly adding a new addition to our "Posting Schedule" tab on the top of our page (desktop users: second tab to the left; mobile users: click the button on the top and select "Posting Schedule). 

Instagram
As some of you probably already know, we are participating in two photo challenges this month, because I couldn't find just one that suited us. We are currently participating in @acciobooksncoffee and @_livelaughread's #livelaughbooksnovember challenge. We are also participating in @readwithmikee and @pagewithaview's #novbookstagram photo challenge.



Goals
Ah...goals, goals, goals! Where would we be without them? (I bet I'd still be okay because I never follow them, haha.) Here are my goals for November:


  1. Use my posting schedule! I really need to get back into using my posting schedule. I think it was a great tool for me in planning and figuring out what to do with posts and all. One day I'll make a post about my posting schedule (or maybe I'll do it this month; who knows?).
  2. Actually work on the blog. A pretty obvious one, it may seem simple and easy, but for me, it's not. But I so badly want to keep up with the blog, so try I shall!
  3. Reach 1,000 followers. Okay, this one's not really my call, but Em wants to reach 1,000 by the end of the month. I am going to try my best to do whatever I can to reach that goal. Besides, I think it'll be pretty simple...we're almost there!

Now I guess I'll have to see how the month of November plays out!

Note: When this post and my November goals were made, we had not yet reached 1,000 followers on Instagram, which is why reaching 1,000 followers is a goal.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?