Skip to main content

5 Things You Should Know Before Starting a Blog

Hello, everyone! As you may or may not have known, this blog has been going on for almost six months now! I have actually been blogging for longer, as I had another blog with Em before we started this one. So, yeah: I guess you could say that I have a good deal of knowledge on blogging.


Blogging is definitely fun and I would recommend it to anyone who was interested in starting a blog, but there are a few things that I think you should know before jumping into the blogging world.


1. BLOGGING TAKES TIME
Sure, you probably already knew this, right? But when I say that blogging takes time, I mean that blogging takes a lot of time. Between actually writing the posts (and then revising and editing and adding pictures), taking pictures (and then editing and watermarking and uploading them to the computer), and promoting your blog, there really is a lot of time that you will need to put into your blog. I have spent whole nights working on posts and doing research for our blog, and yet there is still more that I can do. There is always something to do when running a blog.


2. THINKING OF A BLOG NAME CAN BE DIFFICULT
You are all set to start your blog. You have a topic idea, a few posts to get you started, and even the perfect blog name. Well, guess what: your perfect name is taken. This happened to Em and I (yes: "Reading is Inevitable" was certainly not our first choice). Even if your name idea isn't taken with the blogging service that you use (ex. Blogger), it might be taken with other services or on the social networks you planned on using. Finding a name that is available on every one is difficult. (Unless, of course, you do something personal like "Julia and Em's Bookish World".)


3. THERE ARE A LOT OF BLOGS OUT THERE
A lot of us seem to have fantasies in our heads, little daydreams and wishes that we hope will come true. One idea about blogging is that, "Oh, I will run an amazing blog with tons of interesting content and it will be popular and everyone will read it and -" No. It's not that easy, because, truth is, there's a lot of blogs out there. In other words, there's a lot of competition. Sure, maybe you already knew this, but when a post only gets one view after five months of blogging...? It hurts a bit.


4. THINKING OF POSTS & STICKING TO A SCHEDULE IS TOUGH
If you have a schedule for posting like us at Reading is Inevitable (we post every Monday and Friday), having a post ready can be difficult. Eventually, you're going to start running out of ideas, and while you could just decide not to post some days, then your blog will be (I don't know what other word to use so here I go) dead.


5. IT WILL EVENTUALLY START TO GET LESS FUN AND MORE STRESSFUL (AT TIMES)
I'm not saying that it will never be fun again. No, there will be times when you find blogging to be quite enjoyable. But if you are sticking to a schedule and are slowly running out of post ideas, it will get less and less enjoyable and more and more stressful. Thoughts include, What should I write about?, Shoot: the post pubs in four hours and I still don't have anything! (yes: this has happened to me), and Why is no one reading this post? Especially if you have a job or, like me, school that will be taking up most of your time.

In the end, there's a lot to consider. But if you really want to go for it, do it! Blogging can have a lot of pluses, including being an enjoyable activity and giving you planning skills.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...