Skip to main content

5 Things You Should Know Before Starting a Blog

Hello, everyone! As you may or may not have known, this blog has been going on for almost six months now! I have actually been blogging for longer, as I had another blog with Em before we started this one. So, yeah: I guess you could say that I have a good deal of knowledge on blogging.


Blogging is definitely fun and I would recommend it to anyone who was interested in starting a blog, but there are a few things that I think you should know before jumping into the blogging world.


1. BLOGGING TAKES TIME
Sure, you probably already knew this, right? But when I say that blogging takes time, I mean that blogging takes a lot of time. Between actually writing the posts (and then revising and editing and adding pictures), taking pictures (and then editing and watermarking and uploading them to the computer), and promoting your blog, there really is a lot of time that you will need to put into your blog. I have spent whole nights working on posts and doing research for our blog, and yet there is still more that I can do. There is always something to do when running a blog.


2. THINKING OF A BLOG NAME CAN BE DIFFICULT
You are all set to start your blog. You have a topic idea, a few posts to get you started, and even the perfect blog name. Well, guess what: your perfect name is taken. This happened to Em and I (yes: "Reading is Inevitable" was certainly not our first choice). Even if your name idea isn't taken with the blogging service that you use (ex. Blogger), it might be taken with other services or on the social networks you planned on using. Finding a name that is available on every one is difficult. (Unless, of course, you do something personal like "Julia and Em's Bookish World".)


3. THERE ARE A LOT OF BLOGS OUT THERE
A lot of us seem to have fantasies in our heads, little daydreams and wishes that we hope will come true. One idea about blogging is that, "Oh, I will run an amazing blog with tons of interesting content and it will be popular and everyone will read it and -" No. It's not that easy, because, truth is, there's a lot of blogs out there. In other words, there's a lot of competition. Sure, maybe you already knew this, but when a post only gets one view after five months of blogging...? It hurts a bit.


4. THINKING OF POSTS & STICKING TO A SCHEDULE IS TOUGH
If you have a schedule for posting like us at Reading is Inevitable (we post every Monday and Friday), having a post ready can be difficult. Eventually, you're going to start running out of ideas, and while you could just decide not to post some days, then your blog will be (I don't know what other word to use so here I go) dead.


5. IT WILL EVENTUALLY START TO GET LESS FUN AND MORE STRESSFUL (AT TIMES)
I'm not saying that it will never be fun again. No, there will be times when you find blogging to be quite enjoyable. But if you are sticking to a schedule and are slowly running out of post ideas, it will get less and less enjoyable and more and more stressful. Thoughts include, What should I write about?, Shoot: the post pubs in four hours and I still don't have anything! (yes: this has happened to me), and Why is no one reading this post? Especially if you have a job or, like me, school that will be taking up most of your time.

In the end, there's a lot to consider. But if you really want to go for it, do it! Blogging can have a lot of pluses, including being an enjoyable activity and giving you planning skills.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.