Skip to main content

Book Review: The Light Between Oceans

Title: The Light Between Oceans
Author: M. L. Stedman
Genre: Historical Fiction/Drama
Rating: ∞ out of 5 stars
Reviewer: Julia


Okay, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give a book infinity out of 5, but I'm going to do it because this book was that good. I have never cried so much or intensely over a single book. (I cried throughout the book and in one consistent stream for the last 50 pages.) I am so in love with it that I have made a shrine of sorts (still looking for a better term for it) on top of my dresser dedicated to it. (Em even contributed to this shrine by making me a lovely drawing of the cover of the book!)

The Light Between Oceans is a wonderful story. Using third person point of view, author M. L. Stedman weaves together marvelous characters and beautiful descriptions to create a masterpiece of a novel. Perhaps it doesn't sound like this due to the summary of the book. Most places you might go to will describe the book as a story of a lighthouse keeper and his wife who, after failed attempts at giving birth to a child, find a baby wash up on the shore of the island, and that their decision to keep the baby will forever affect them. While this description is true, I do not believe that it shows the full value of the book.

This book is so much more than that. It is the story of tough decisions. It is the story of love. It is the story of human nature and life. It is filled to the brim with beauty and heartbreak that will make your eyes overflow with tears. There was something that clung on to my heart after I finished the book. What was it, exactly? I am not sure what it was, but I know that it was a sign that this book changed me.

The Light Between Oceans is impossibly beautiful. Almost too good for words to describe.

What's another great book that us at Reading is Inevitable enjoyed? Everything, Everything.
"Everything Everything. This amazing book's main character is Madeline, or Maddy, Whittier. She has a rare condition that keeps her inside all her life, because she will die if she comes in contact with the world. When a boy her age, Olly, moves in next door, her whole world changes for good. 
I really loved this book. It was my second favorite book for several months until recently (now it's my 3rd!). Even though this book only has a couple of characters, it makes them have so much depth that it completely makes up for it. The author really captures what I would think a girl stuck in her house her whole life would feel. This book has humor, sadness, and parts that will give you major anxiety..." Read more

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Symptoms of Being Human

Title: Symptoms of Being Human Author: Jeff Garvin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Why is Symptoms of Being Human such a great book? I am not sure if I have enough space in this post to tell you all of the reasons why I love it. In general, this book by Jeff Garvin is so wonderful because of the "different-ness" of the book. Not every teen book you come across will address anxiety, depression, the LBGT+ community, friendships, bullying, and more in only 330 pages. Yet somehow, Garvin accomplishes this and so much more.

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?