Skip to main content

Book Review: I'll Give You the Sun

Title: I'll Give You the Sun
Author: Jandy Nelson
Genre: YA fiction
Rating: 4.75/5
Reviewer: Em

"Maybe some people are just meant to be in the same story."

This book is absolutely stunning in every way. Literally. No joke, I am being 100% serious. Let's start with the characters. Noah, probably one of the most awesome characters ever created (heck yeah!). He's an ama-zhang artist (I love you if you got the HOO reference) and overall nice person who's just trying to be himself. Jude is pretty much the definition of cool. So, you know, basically Wendy (GF reference!). Not the average person just decides to dive off a cliff.

At age thirteen, the twins cannot be separated, but when an art school and strong feelings mix, it turns into a huge mess which results in tension and many unspoken words three years later. 

The plot is so original, and that can be hard to find these days. Also, the ending you'll never see coming, and if you did predict it, I applaud you. I also really like how the author includes such small details, and the twin's different writing styles. It just really refreshing to see, and that little quirk always makes me smile.

This book will not bore you. It radiates drama, heartbreak, tragedy, and romance. I feel that this book is about being yourself, and being selfless and truthful, which can be hard when society is telling you to be someone else, and when the truth is the hardest thing to say that is seems simply impossible. Unspoken feelings are a big thing. I know that hiding the truth is something that everyone might do on a daily basis, and this book really gets deeply into that in a way that I have yet to see in another piece of text.

One part of this novel that I really like is the point of views. Noah tells the story when they are best friends and thirteen years old, and Jude shares her story three years later in time. You go from one chapter of them being the cutest pair of twins, and the next being in a huge ongoing silence. However, I have felt agony when reading a really interesting part, and then not hearing about it till a couple of chapters later! Oh the life of a book lover: those authors really do like those horrible hings called cliffhangers.

Basically, this book is great, and it always will be. I really look forward to rereading it later this year. It is completely worth anyone's time to just sit down, and read it. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Soon enough, you'll make a book edit for this wonderful book, just like me!

Like books with endings "you'll never see coming"? Then check out Book Review: Wink Poppy Midnight (Julia)!
"This novel is told from three characters' points of views: Wink, Poppy, and Midnight. Wink is the girl who lives on the farm with her many siblings and mother, and believes in spirits and readings and doesn't care much about what others think. Poppy is the beautiful girl whom almost everyone--including herself--loves. However, she is "ugly on the inside". Midnight is the boy who moves across the street from Wink and is caught in the middle of it all. In the middle of what, you ask? Well..."

Comments

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?