Skip to main content

Book Review: In the Time of the Butterflies

Title: In the Time of the Butterflies
Author: Julia Alvarez
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia


"It is November 25, 1960, and three beautiful sisters have been found near their wrecked Jeep at the bottom of a 150-foot cliff on the north coast of the Dominican Republic."
Who are these sisters? Why are they dead? What lead them to such a horrible death?
"The official state newspaper reports their death as accidental. It does not mention that a fourth sister lives. Nor does it explain that the sisters were among the leading opponents of Gen. Rafael Leonidas Trujillo's dictatorship."
 Where was the fourth sister? Who is this dictator? 
"It doesn't have to. Everybody knows of Las Mariposas--the Butterflies."
That text is from the summary on the back of my copy of In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez, a book so great that I based several of my passwords for various things after it.

This amazing novel is based off of the true story of Las Mariposas: Patria, Minerva, Dede, and Maria Teresa "Mate". The book leads readers through the stories of the four sisters using alternating points of views from their youth to the very end. (Again, this plot also contains deaths.) It is interesting to learn about the different personalities and experiences of the four sisters and see how these affect their viewpoint on the dictatorship and the revolution that is stirring. There's the religious Patria, the determined Minerva, the cautious Dede, and the youngest but helpful sister Mate. However, the work that they do is dangerous, and, as seen in the book, lead to awful things.

This novel isn't just a book about action and doing what's right. Actually, what is "right" is questioned throughout the plot of the book. Additionally, it is a book about character, and like How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, you can see the bonds in family, and how they stick or crumble during hard times.

I extremely recommend reading this book. Even though I read it last summer, I still feel that I love it, and I sometimes find myself going back to it to read a page or two, imagining that I am Patria or Minerva or Dede or Mate, fighting for what I believe in.

The Butterflies fought for what they believed in. So did Clara in Audacity. Make sure you read the review on another amazing book on fighting for what you believe in!
"One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...It is written in free verse! When books are written in free verse they are always so beautiful! The same goes for this book. I always love to read the poems and to think about them (there is usually something more behind poems). I also liked to notice the patterns in the lines of free verse. 
Clearly, the structure of the book certainly made it much more enjoyable for me. Still, I liked it for other reasons, such as..." Read more

Comments

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: The Goldfinch

Title: The Goldfinch Author: Donna Tartt Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia It took me a while before finally picking up the book. It took me another shorter but still long while before actually finishing it. I was hesitating at first because of it's great size and the length of the writing (some paragraphs or sentences can stretch for quite some time). When I finally had started the book, it took me a while because I had first slowed down during parts in which the main character and narrator, Theo Decker, was feeling low in spirit due to the death of his mother. At times the long descriptions and sections describing his sadness were a bit too much. The other reason why it took me some time to finish the book (about a month) was because it was so long, my paperback copy of it being a whopping 962 pages long. So I guess what you can conclude is that you need a sort of tolerance and patience to be able to get through this book. But if you are able ...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?