Skip to main content

March 2016 Reflection

Hello everyone! I've seen posts like these on other blogs, and decided to do one on here too! Some people call it a wrap-up for the month, others call it an overview, but here at Reading is Inevitable, we'll call it a reflection. Not only will I reflect on what has happened this March, but I will also give you all a sneak peek of what might come in April!


This is a calendar of March that shows events for Reading is
Inevitable. Important dates include the 12th (birth of the blog!),
 the 14th (first book review), and the 26th (highest number of likes
on Instagram at 32 likes). Note: This calendar was last updated
on the 30th of March. May be slightly inaccurate.


Looking Back Into March


Creating Reading is Inevitable
March was a big month for us (Em and myself, Julia) at Reading is Inevitable! After all, on March 12, 2016, we started a little blog called Reading is Inevitable. The next day, the 13th of March, our first post (Welcome) on the blog. Then, on the 14th, my first post ("Book Review: In the Shadow of Man") was published, and on the 18th, Em's first post ("Book Review: Never Always Sometimes") was posted.


We also started an Instagram page on the same day that we made Reading is Inevitable and joined the Bookstagram community. 


Blogging Struggles
Both of these big events taught me something important: this is hard stuff! 

Running a blog takes the time to plan and write. Pictures are a big part of attracting readers, and are definitely needed for social media, adding more time for photo shoots and editing. (I'm lucky to have Em to take such amazing photos for me!) Overall, there's a lot of time and work that needs to be put into a blog, and you still need to deal with the struggles of life and blogging slumps (I hate those!).

I've also learned that being a member of the Bookstagram community and creating a successful Instagram account is difficult. We only have a total of 31 followers (we are also constantly losing followers) and the highest number of likes we have gotten on a post is 32. I've really started to appreciate the work of bloggers.

Not only did I learn that getting readers was hard, but I also realized the struggles of writing a blog. Whenever I'm blogging, I wonder, What should I write about? How should I present my information? There are also those hard times when inspiration or motivation just won't come.

Luckily, I have many examples of good blogs and bookstagram pages to help me. (Thank-you all so much!)

Blogging Fun
But in the end, who really cares about the number of followers or pageviews? We're doing this to share the things that we love. We will still be doing that whether it be with 20 people or 1,000. There really isn't much of a difference. This is still a blog. This is still a post. Actually, we may be a bit lucky in the way that we don't have as much pressure put on us!

I have also enjoyed working with Em. There have been some small arguments now and then (picture taking led to one, for example), but for the most part, we have grown closer. I can recall some weekend nights just sitting with her, both of us on our computers, blogging. There is usually music playing in the background, and one night we had snacks. It's always fun, and we'll talk to each other in between writing and updating our social media page.

We have some good memories, from having fun taking pictures to laughing when my jeans' belt loop got caught on the drawer knob. (I was kneeling to take a picture, and when I got up...yeah.) While I hope that this blog grows, I am fine with it staying small if it means that I get to spend more time with Em.

Favorite Posts
My favorite post of Em's was "Book
 Review: Never Always Sometimes".
In March we posted six blog posts on Reading is Inevitable. The top posts that you, our readers, liked were our welcome post and my book review on In the Shadow of Man, but probably only because those were our first posts.* However, I have my own favorites.

This is a picture from my
 post "Zentangle".
My favorite post that Em wrote is her first one, "Book Review: Never Always Sometimes", not because there is a main character with my name (Julia), but because I connected with the sentence, "And if you are thinking this is just your average teen novel then you'd be wrong." (I hardly give teen novels a chance at times...especially if they are romance!)

My favorite post that I wrote would have to be my most recent one, "Zentangle", which published this Monday. I loved sharing my love for Zentangle with you all, and I think that by including some of my own art in there, the post was more visually pleasing. Perhaps you were disappointed that it didn't have to do with reading, but I had a blast writing the post!
*I am trying to get a more accurate response. That is why I have created the poll on the side of the page. I will also post a picture on our Instagram page where you may vote. Please submit an answer!


Coming Up in April


Okay, so enough of the boring stuff that most of you probably don't care about! Let's see what will be happening for Reading is Inevitable in April!
"Book Review: I'll Give You the Sun"
is publishing tomorrow, the 1st of April

Book Reviews
"Book Review: In the Time of the
Butterflies" will be publishing
on the 11th of April.
So far we have three planned book reviews for April, and there will probably be more to come! (Em just recently finished reading This is Where the World Ends, so there will most likely be a book review on that too!) Our first book review of April will be publishing tomorrow. Have you heard of the books I'll Give You the Sun, In the Time of the Butterflies, or Bud, Not Buddy? Not sure if you should read them? Don't worry: because you'll see reviews on them sometimes in April!

Opinion Post: Yes or No?
Okay, I'm not actually asking if you all want an opinion post, I was just making a pun of sorts. (Get it? Because it's an opinion post?) After pondering on the idea for quite a while, I have finally decided to write an opinion post. After all, they are rather fun and it's interesting to see different viewpoints! However, I will not tell you what the topic is. That's a surprise! 

What to do on a Reading Break
I know that some of you may not want to admit it, but we all need a break from reading at some point. We must put the book down and take a breather. But what should we do? I'll tell you what you can do...on the 4th of April. Think you can wait that long?

Wednesday Posts?

Em and I were thinking that once we have a fair amount of traffic to this blog, that we would also post on Wednesdays too. We are having a good amount of traffic to our blog, but it might be too difficult to write so many posts. It is not official yet and we are not sure when we will start doing this, but I suppose that it is possible that we start sometime in April. There will still be announcements on our Instagram page, so do not worry about having to check!

What Else?
Other than that, we don't have any other posts planned yet for April. Of course, if any of you have any ideas for a post (a topic to cover, a type of post, etc.), we would be happy to hear them!

"Book Review: I'll Give You the Sun" is now published, and to read it, click here.
"Book Review: In the Time of the Butterflies" is also published, and to read it, click here.
To see other monthly reflections, click here. Or, you can read the next monthly reflection, April 2016 Reflection.

Comments

  1. Love this post! Your comment about your jeans made me giggle! I am glad that you and Em have been sharing some fun times together creating this blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

2017 Reading Goals

So, since 2017 is officially here (and has been for about two weeks), I figured I might as well post about our reading goals for the year! I'll also attempt figuring out all of the books I read in 2016, but I know it'll be far from accurate as I did not write it down and I know I won't remember everything! For 2016, I actually didn't make any reading goals. I just wanted to finish one book a month, I guess! I can happily say that I did complete this very small goal of mine. (Some people aim for 100 books a year!)

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.