Skip to main content

Navigating Bookstagram - Stories & Tips From a Small(er?) Account - #booksNOTbullies Anti-Bullying Campaign



I know that I promised a different addition to the Navigating Bookstagram series, but there’s something important that happened last Wednesday that I feel like I should share with you, my fellow bookstagrammers.

If you haven’t noticed, there has been some bullying (or at least some unkind words) in the bookstagram community lately. For instance, I have seen issues over rep searches, where people argue over not getting picked and create issues for everyone involved. I’ve heard of a shop that had to not have reps and might have even closed, and have also heard of people who have been directly hurt through direct messages. I think most bookstagrammers can agree that the bookstagram community is a safe one where we’re all united by our love for books. I know that when Em and I joined bookstagram, I was shocked at how wonderfully nice everyone was.

But sadly that hasn’t been the case lately. That’s why five bookstagrammers who recognized this organized the #booksNOTbullies anti-bullying campaign. These five bookstagrammers are Abi (@thesqueakycupboard), Georgia (@the.bibliofiles), Kat (@notthepathtonarnia), Katie (@katielmae), and Katy (@katyslibrary). The purpose of the campaign was to stand against the bullying and to once again create a safe community by posting blue last Wednesday, the 12th of April under the hashtag #booksNOTbullies.

We would like to invite everyone to post BLUE on Wednesday April 12 as we stand in solidarity with our fellow bookstagrammers who were bullied and bring awareness to this issue.
-- Abi, @thesqueakycupboard

Em and I at Reading is Inevitable even took part in the campaign. The result was the picture you see below, the blue being my blue sweater and the blue cover of The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah. I decided to share a quote on love from Donna Tartt’s The Goldfinch, because love is important to keep in mind and to hold close during times of bullying. I also managed to like over 300 pictures under the tag to spread love in and good feelings in the bookstagram community, and was glad to participate in the event.

[04.12.17] - 『Whatever teaches us to talk to ourselves is important: whatever teaches us to sing ourselves out of despair....And I feel I have something very serious and urgent to say to you....That life—whatever else it is—is short....That Nature (meaning Death) always wins but that doesn't mean we have to bow and grovel to it....And in the midst of our dying, as we rise from the organic, it is a glory and a privilege to love what Death doesn't touch....I add my own love to the history of people who loved things, and looked out for them, and pulled them from the fire, and sought them when they were lost, and tried to preserve them and save them while passing them along literally from hand to hand, singing out brilliantly from the wreck of time to the next generation of lovers, and the next.』 — The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - - A little quote on love for #booksNOTbullies. ♥︎☆
A post shared by Julia&Em (@readingisinevitable) on

The campaign was, for the most part, a success, with a total of 1,266 posts on the hashtag as of yesterday evening. It should be noted that claims of misuse of the hashtag have been made by some bookstagrammers. (This includes promoting negative or harmful books or even actual bullying under the anti-bullying tag!)

Still, it was a lovely idea to hold the event, and hopefully it has raised awareness about the bullying going around in the community. Like I said earlier, usually, the bookstagram community is a beautifully kind one where we can all unite over our love of books. Why should we let different opinions or other stupid little things separate us? Bookworms should stick together, right?

Below you’ll find a list of some of my favorite posts due to the captions written for them, as well as a post from each of the hosts of the campaign. Be sure to check it out! (And the next installment of the Navigating Bookstagram series will be an extension to the SFS post, as I realized I did promise one in that post, and then one on "moving away from the idea of fame", as promised in my March Reflection. Once again, my apologies!)





A post shared by Katie (@katielmae) on

A post shared by Katy📚 (@katyslibrary) on

Amazing Captions You Should Check Out...

@pages_of_my_heart
@estherhaelanra
@jennifer_f_santucci
@pagingserenity
@lindabookmania
@books_and_abe
@bookwnoname
@jillreadsit
@amillionbookswithyou
@readbyashleyd
@staybookish



Click here to read the next Navigating Bookstagram post, "Hosting a SFS". Or click on the Navigating Bookstagram tag (below) or the link in the pages bar at the top of the screen to read more.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on

2017 Reading Goals

So, since 2017 is officially here (and has been for about two weeks), I figured I might as well post about our reading goals for the year! I'll also attempt figuring out all of the books I read in 2016, but I know it'll be far from accurate as I did not write it down and I know I won't remember everything! For 2016, I actually didn't make any reading goals. I just wanted to finish one book a month, I guess! I can happily say that I did complete this very small goal of mine. (Some people aim for 100 books a year!)

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.