Skip to main content

Denik's New Layflat Softcover Notebooks - Review



Hey there everyone! If you've seen our bookstagram recently, you would know that we got some amazing new Denik notebooks! Now if you've never heard the name "Denik" before then I think it's time that you know, and after you read this post go check out their website, okay? (They actually came out with a new website design, too. It's amazing.)

Denik is so much more than just a notebook/sketchbook-selling company. The word Denik describes the whole community and cause that surrounds the company, a "grassroots, artsy-eclectic bunch", as it is so beautifully described on their website. The designs displayed on the covers of their products are made by artists around the world, no matter who they are or where they come from. With the income from the notebooks and sketchbooks they sell, Denik gives some to support these artists and to build schools for children around the world. The whole idea that Denik is built upon is that, together, art and people can change the world.

The whole idea that Denik is built upon is that, together, art and people can change the world.

On March 31st, Denik continued their mission towards this cause by releasing a new line of notebooks. These would be their new layflat softcover notebooks. The new notebooks, which come in 18 amazing designs, feature a special soft cover that are designed so that, even after use, the covers will still lay flat.




In this review, I will be covering the following topics:

  • the cover and overall structure
  • cover designs/artwork
  • possible uses

Note: We were given Denik's Layflat Softcover Notebooks in exchange for advertisement. 

Cover and Overall Structure

First up is the cover and overall structure of the notebook, although I'm putting an extra emphasis on the cover structure because, after all, that's what makes these notebooks special and different from other Denik notebooks. I actually have two other notebooks myself and Em and I have another one that the lovely people at Denik gave us, so I can make a pretty good comparison. Let's start with the cover, shall we?




Just by opening the notebooks I can tell that there definitely is a difference in the binding, and it's amazing that, even though you might expect the new layflat binding to be more stiff so that it can keep the notebooks closed, it actually feels smoother to me. And to answer your question: Yes, the notebook does lie flat even after opening it, which is pretty cool if I do say so myself. And these softcover notebooks (which I'm almost positive includes most if not all of Denik's 5.25 x 8.25 inch notebooks) really are soft. I honestly can't stop feeling it.

Maybe I'm just some oddball who pays way too much attention to detail, but I also really appreciate the structure of the whole notebook. The covers and pages of the notebooks are curved at the edges, which I find to be an amazing detail that makes them feel so much better (the curves are also really smooth and clean-cut). The notebooks come in ruled or blank format, and the paper doesn't feel cheap either, if you know what I mean. I actually did a little exploring on the Denik website and found out that they use acid-free 75% recycled paper, which is amazing.

Overall, the structure of the notebooks is great.

Cover Designs

The design that we received is only one of eighteen wonderful designs. The artwork varies from simplistic designs to graphic art to text-filled art. All designs are honestly beautiful, and be sure to see them for yourself here so you know what I'm talking about.




Possible Uses

Okay, so this is where the more formal, definite review ends. Now it's time for me to discuss some possible ways that you can use a Denik Layflat Softcover notebook. Personally, I'm still trying to decide what exactly to do with mine, because the possibilities really are endless. That's the amazing thing about Denik notebooks. They're just the right size and the choice of lined or blank paper really gives you the opportunity to use their notebooks in any way that suits you.




They're just the right size and the choice of lined or blank paper really gives you the opportunity to use their notebooks in any way that suits you.

Some ideas that I had that I think you bookworms and/or bookstgrammers might like include...

  • DIY planner
  • journal 
  • book to write your favorite book quotes
  • bookstagram planner/idea book
  • mini sketchbook



That's all for this post! In the end, it turns out I actually really like Denik notebooks. They're beautiful, and now with the new layflat cover technology, they're even better! They also have a great cause, so please head over to their website and get some for you and your friends! Until next time,


Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Title: Beautiful Creatures Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl Genre: Romantic Fantasy? Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia YOUR FATE: to read Beautiful Creatures Fate certainly plays a large role in this book. Every character in this book deals with fate, but if anyone deals with it the most, that would have to be Lena Duchannes. After all, she's the one who will be Claimed on her 16th birthday by the Light or the Dark, whether she likes it or not. There's no way that she can escape her fate, whatever it may be. And she's convinced that she will turn Dark. But Ethan won't let that happen.