Skip to main content

Lessons From On Writing: Vocabulary

As you may or may not know from our Instagram page, I recently read On Writing by Stephen King. No, I have not read any of his other books, but I plan on reading at least one of his other works. And while I'm not going to tell you everything about this wonderful book, I have still come across some things that I think are worth sharing.

In On Writing, King goes through what has created himself as a writer and some important things people should know about writing. One of the lessons in his book is on vocabulary. While this is one of the smaller parts of the book and some people might not even remember reading this, I really was able to connect with it and believe that it is something that all people should keep in mind (especially kids in school, oh my goodness).

What King said more or less about the subject of vocabulary was that you had to be careful with it and while it is certainly a helpful tool to have, you shouldn't stress over it. (Something which I am guilty about.) Sure, at least according to him, it is still wonderful to try to expand your vocabulary, but you don't want to go searching for a more complicated word just to make your writing seem better.

No, he says. Don't do that.

And, sure, I'm guessing that you've probably heard this a billion times or so from your teachers throughout the years. But did you listen to them? Well, that's another story for some, isn't it? If you were looking for a sign to stop doing this - searching a dictionary or the internet for fifteen valuable minutes just for a word - here it is. So maybe you weren't going to listen to your fifth grade writing teacher, but at least listen to a bestselling author, okay?

King really brings up a good point that vocabulary, in a sense, isn't everything. Some great authors have actually used a rather simple collection of words in their writing. And, yes: while you do find authors with an unimaginable variety of words (Donna Tartt, author of The Goldfinch...? Don't get me started on that one!), there are these writers who can use simple words to make a more complex picture.

These aren't examples that King used in his book, but I just want you to think of any amazing picture book you've read (titles such as Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes or What Do You Do With An Idea? by Kobi Yamada come to mind for me). Picture books are simple and easy reads; we can all agree on that. But some have great ideas and concepts behind them, yet the words used are basic vocabulary that can be easily understood by a child.

Or what about The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon? Such a beautiful book, but simple vocabulary.

You see, you don't need complex words to make your writing better. After all, writing is about the ideas, which brings us to King's other remark on vocabulary:

Use the first word that comes to mind.

Sure: this has some exceptions, but I see where Stephen King's coming from when he says that the first word that pops up in your mind is probably the best word for this situation. It's what you mind thought of, and what word could better match what you're trying to say? (Like I said, there are some exceptions.)

I don't know about you, but I feel like these are two very important things to take from King's book, On Writing. If you want more tips on writing and information on what shaped King into the writer that he is, then I suggest you read On Writing for yourself. His sarcastic and just plain old funny humour definitely keeps the book going at a good, casual pace. An enjoyable read.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: The Goldfinch

Title: The Goldfinch Author: Donna Tartt Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia It took me a while before finally picking up the book. It took me another shorter but still long while before actually finishing it. I was hesitating at first because of it's great size and the length of the writing (some paragraphs or sentences can stretch for quite some time). When I finally had started the book, it took me a while because I had first slowed down during parts in which the main character and narrator, Theo Decker, was feeling low in spirit due to the death of his mother. At times the long descriptions and sections describing his sadness were a bit too much. The other reason why it took me some time to finish the book (about a month) was because it was so long, my paperback copy of it being a whopping 962 pages long. So I guess what you can conclude is that you need a sort of tolerance and patience to be able to get through this book. But if you are able ...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?