Skip to main content

Book Review: When Marnie Was There

Title: When Marnie Was There
Author: Joan G. Robinson
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 3 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia


Anna is using her "ordinary face" more and more often, and is told by her teachers at school that she is not-even-trying. She doesn't have any friends, and is on the outside of an imaginary social circle. Her foster parents, worried about her, send her away to the Peggs, some family friends, to get better. There, she is free to wander about the land around her, and starts to feel a strange connection with the old marsh house that seems to be empty. Or is it?

Soon she meets Marnie, who lives at the house, and the two become friends, bonding and sharing their secrets. But soon Marnie vanishes and a new family is at the house, and Anna begins to question what's real and what's not.

The plot would definitely be interesting, had I not already known what had happened because I had seen the movie adaptation first. Luckily, there were some changes, so I was able to still enjoy the book a bit. Although I didn't really find it too interesting, whether that be because of the writing style or because I had seen the movie first I cannot really say.

I did like the idea behind the book, though. There's a theme of forgiveness in the book that I like, although I wish it was shown more. Love was definitely a concept that was covered, and I think that that was nice as well.

I wasn't all too fond of how the book ended. It felt a bit rushed to me.

Still, the book was nice. I think I might just be viewing it in this way because I saw the movie first. Perhaps I'll try reading it again.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...