Skip to main content

Movie Adaptations: Beautiful Creatures


Good morning, everyone! Today I have something different; something at least I have never done before. Today I am going to share my thoughts on the movie adaptation of the book Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Both were good, but, of course, I liked the book better. That is partially because there were some large changes in the movie that I was not fond of.

To start, I should mention that I saw the movie first. I had no idea Beautiful Creatures was a book when I saw it. I watched it several times, liked it, and decided that I wanted to read the book. I mean, if I liked the movie, why not try the book?

[Major spoilers in this post, if you haven't figured it out yet.]

So, I got the book, and right away I could tell that it was different. The dream was changed, all of them in fact. In the book, there are several, different dreams. All of the dreams had a realistic quality, what with the dirt in the sheets and the marks on his skin where she tried to reach out to him. I liked how the dreams in the novel showed how she might be lost to him, possibly by the Dark. However, in the movie, it was the same dream, repeated, and it didn't have to do with falling at all.

It is during this dream that book Ethan (book Ethan and movie Ethan are different) first mentions her smell. (I apologize: that sounds odd, but I don't know how else to put it.) I mean, the whole lemons-and-rosemary thing, to me, just makes Lena more, well, Lena.

Speaking of Lena, the Lena shown in the movie was not the same as the one in the book. I don't know if it's just the way that I'm viewing things, but it seems that the Lena in the book is more independent and has more of an "I-don't-care-what-you-think" and "fight-me" sort of attitude. She also had a necklace with a collection of things she's picked up over the years, and the fact that she doesn't have it in the movie just makes me think that the movie completely tears away a whole part of who Lena is.

While I admire the work that the writers went into fitting information into few enough scenes so that it fit into a single movie (imagine they made a part 1 and part 2?), I am, of course, upset with a few of the things that got cut. For instance, where was the garden with the lemon trees and all of those afternoons Lena and Ethan spent there? Or the part with magical opening of Mr.Wate's office (Mr.Wate is Ethan's father) and the flipping of pages?

Another thing that was probably done for the movie for time reasons was the whole "Sixteen Moons" song. I know that this was probably just a minor thing that wasn't really important, but, I don't know, I would have liked to see it included in the movie.


Something that was really upsetting to me (more than the song) was the cut of a few characters, such as Ryan and the Sisters, but overall Marian. I was upset when I found out that Amma wasn't originally the Caster librarian, and that a wonderful character was not included in the movie. I pretty much fell in love with Marian the moment I found out about her, and her passion for books and her connections with Ethan's mother makes her special to me. Her being written out is something I don't approve of.

The whole caster library thing really was changed, now that I think of it. I mean, the book's location was even changed! (Which is fine, I suppose: the ghost would have freaked me out had she been in the movie.)

Now, enough with the little things. (Sorry, Marian.) Let's talk about the ending. To me, the ending in the book and the ending in the movie are almost a part of two completely different stories. While I suppose it was nice to be surprised (I thought I already knew what the ending was going to be like going into the book), the fact that it was so largely changed troubled me. The whole part with Ethan's father...? Gone. The party? More like small family gathering. The part with her mother and the storm and about a billion other exciting things? Nope.

I actually found this to be rather interesting. For usually when I see books turned into movies, more action is added. But I just feel like it was subtracted here. I don't like how it was so dramatically changed, but I also like it. Allow me to explain: In a way, I like the simple yet powerful way that things are resolved in the movie. I think that it gives a haunting sort of quality, which I find to be a bit cool. But I admire the authors of the book for representing the struggles Lena is going through so much. (Which reminds me: where's all of Lena's screaming in Ethan's head?)

Overall, the movie adaptation is fine. I like it, it's fine. It's just that after reading the book, I suddenly see a whole lot of things I don't like about it.

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.