Skip to main content

How to Cure a Reading Slump

When I got out of school this summer, I was excited for a lot of things. One of the things that I was the most excited for was getting the opportunity to read more often. I have a lot of books that I want to read and the thought that I would (hopefully) get to read more of them was thrilling. Only, there was one problem: I wasn't in the mood for reading.

We all have these times. They're awful. During these periods of times known to us as "reading slumps", we usually experience a lack of motivation or desire to read. You might find yourself picking up your book, thinking about how much fun you're going to have, and then - bam! - after a few words you feel bored to tears. 

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate it when this happens. So, after quite some time of dealing with this problem, I tested out a few solutions to "curing" a reading slump. Check them out below.

Cure #1: Continue to pick up your book.
This was the first thing that I tried. I just continued to pick up my book until I felt like reading. I would read a little, and if I wasn't "feeling it", I put it down. I would then pick it up a few minutes or hours later. Surprisingly, it worked.
Pros
After doing this little trick, I actually read a good amount. Not just a few pages, but a few chapters, which was surprising because I couldn't bring myself to read for a bit.
Cons
For all I know, I could have just had a break in my reading slump. Furthermore, this method won't always prove to be effective (sometimes it can just wear you out), and can waste a lot of time.

Cure #2: Get in a good reading spot.
If you have a special reading nook or a place where you normally read, this could help to get in the mood. You could also go to a spot where you tend to have good focus. For instance, I went to my desk.
Pros
This is more effective than the last technique.
Cons
First of all, you might not be able to get to your special reading spot/focus area. To add, you might get distracted. If you have books in your reading nook, you might find a different book that you would like to read more. Or, in my case, you might think of other activities that you do in that spot. (I blog at my desk, and I ended up writing this, rather than reading.) Also, my desk has a turning chair, so...
Cure #3: Use music.
Basically, all you have to do is put on some music, set it so that it's kinda low, and then try to read. I like to use faster and more upbeat music, for I find it to be motivating. If this doesn't work for you, then you can always try something slower. Whatever suits you.
Pros
This one proved to be very effective for me. I read, and I felt like reading. It wasn't a chore. Plus, I got to listen to music and read, which was pretty great, for me.
Cons
The bad thing, though, is that you can (very easily, in fact) get distracted by the music. I was listening to songs with lyrics, and I have to admit that I completely stopped reading when I heard "Animal" by Miike Snow. Additionally, if you use Pandora like me, you might find a song that's new to you, and I always like to see if I like the song. Long-story-short, it is very easy to get distracted. Music can be a gift, but it can also be a distraction. Remember that.

Comments

  1. I like the idea of finding a good reading spot! Maybe taking a book to the park or a pretty spot would help in getting some reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get in to reading slumps, too. I like the first tip. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Book Review: Symptoms of Being Human

Title: Symptoms of Being Human Author: Jeff Garvin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Why is Symptoms of Being Human such a great book? I am not sure if I have enough space in this post to tell you all of the reasons why I love it. In general, this book by Jeff Garvin is so wonderful because of the "different-ness" of the book. Not every teen book you come across will address anxiety, depression, the LBGT+ community, friendships, bullying, and more in only 330 pages. Yet somehow, Garvin accomplishes this and so much more.