Skip to main content

Book Review: Quiet Power

Title: Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverts
Author: Susan Cain, with the assistance of Gregory Mone and Erica Moroz
Genre: Nonfiction
Rating: 3 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia

Back in 2012, specifically the 24th of January, Susan Cain published her book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. This book shook the world, and was listed as a bestseller and opened the minds of many. This book was for adults. But then, earlier this year (2016), Cain, along with the help of Gregory Mone and Erica Moroz, published another book on being quiet, only this time for teens and children.

This book is a guide for kids on how to navigate life - at school, home, in social groups, and activities - using and recognizing their quiet nature. With stories of real introverted kids, the book is designed to help teens and kids to take advantage of their quiet ways, and teaches them to be proud and to embrace it. There is also a section in the back for teachers and one for parents.


As an introvert myself, I found parts of this book to be a bit touching. It was nice to be understood because, most often, school and youth in general encourage and require kids and teens to be more talkative, and the extroverted are often praised. I'm sure that, if you are an introvert or have a bit of a "quiet nature", you have heard things similar to "Speak up more" in school. If you're like me, some curious kids might have walked right up to you and asked, "Why are you so quiet?" Of course, no one ever meant any harm, but it might have upset you. (I recently looked in an older journal of mine to find several long and angry entries in which I had complained how people were always thinking of my quietness as a negative thing.)

Some parts of this book were, and I'm sorry I can't think of a better way to put it, a bit too close to home. They sparked some troubled emotions and memories for me, and I suddenly got really mad, hurling the book across the room. But it was probably just because of what those silly kids from elementary school said. Not the book.

Something I did find to be rather helpful were the conclusions at the end of each chapter, in which there were organized tips on how to be quiet and still be productive and happy in school, at home, in activities/hobbies, and while socializing. Those would be good for quick and easy reference.

However, some of the tips and tricks that were in the book I had already thought out myself. For instance, the chapter on quiet leading in school groups wasn't all to helpful, for I had already figured out how to do my own "quiet leading". Still, the chapter was interesting due to the stories weaved in, and I always found myself rooting for the kids mentioned and cheering at their mini victories.

Overall, this book was alright. Not my most favorite book in the world, for I was upset with some parts and sometimes a bit annoyed with some repeated ideas (yeah, yeah, yeah: being quiet is alright, we get it), but it was still alright. In the end, this book is a beacon of hope and reassurance to those quiet kids buried in a book, sitting alone at lunch, reading this book review.

Comments

  1. Nice review. Even though this book is for kids, I think it would be helpful for myself as well, because I consider myself an introvert, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Book Review: Symptoms of Being Human

Title: Symptoms of Being Human Author: Jeff Garvin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Why is Symptoms of Being Human such a great book? I am not sure if I have enough space in this post to tell you all of the reasons why I love it. In general, this book by Jeff Garvin is so wonderful because of the "different-ness" of the book. Not every teen book you come across will address anxiety, depression, the LBGT+ community, friendships, bullying, and more in only 330 pages. Yet somehow, Garvin accomplishes this and so much more.

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...