Skip to main content

Book Review: Gena/Finn

Title: Gena/Finn
Authors: Kat Helgeson and Hannah MoskowitzGenre: Teen/YA realistic fictionRating: 4Reviewer: Em



This book is way different then I thought it would be. When I picked it up at my local book store, I chose it because, first of all, I liked how it was all in emails and texts and stuff like that; not in the usual format you read a book in. I like books like that.

Anyway, I read this book in a day. It was a fairly quick read, but it was interesting - very interesting. I thought it'd just be a cute book on two people meeting, and then becoming great friends (or more, maybe). It was so much more than that. It wasn't like my new favorite book, but still. Like Finn said (I think it was Finn) about the TV show they both love, it's about how the characters change more than the plot. And I found that to be kind of true with this book. You really get to know the characters in this book.


This book was complicated. Things got pretty messy, and I found myself sorta uncomfortable towards the end. It was definitely a book that made you feel things. I related to a lot of the characters, especially Gena. Their relationship is also similar to a relationship between me and one of my best friends. So, basically, this book was very relatable.

One thing that bothered me about this book is the openness of Gena's name. Finn mostly called her Evie, so hearing Gena now feels weird. In real life, Evie said that most people called her Gena, but since Finn remained calling her Eve and Evie, the name Gena was not really used in the book too much.

The plot twist in the middle; oh gosh. Completely did not see that coming, and it broke my heart. Their relationship completely changed, and it made me sad, if I'm being honest. It seemed a bit abrupt, like it changed in an instant. I wish sometimes that it was formatted like most books, because I would have really liked to know how they interacted offline. And in the times where they didn't interact online, it seems like they were distant and weren't talking to each other, although this may not have been the case.

Also, towards the end, I felt like Evie was inside her head, and you didn't really get to say goodbye to the character, if you know what I mean. I just feel you didn't get to know what was up with her when you really needed to.

So, while I had some problems with this book, I still enjoyed this book immensely. Their relationship seemed to grow throughout the book. Their lives weren't cake walks, and they had trouble dealing with their relationship, their relationships with others, and how their relationship affected others.




Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting book -- I've never read a book written in that kind of format!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...