Skip to main content

Julia's Opinion: Teen Romance Novels



Just scroll through the #bookstagram community or the teen section of a book store. What do you find? Teen romance novels. Lots of them. The Fault in our Stars. Say What You Will. To All the Boys I've Loved Before. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these titles. But what about others? I mean, some people like this large number of romance. Others don't. What do I think?

I don't like the numerous teen romance novels that dominate bookstores and bookstagram. If you have seen the books I have reviewed on this blog, you'll get the idea that I am not a fan of these books. What about all of the other great books out there? What about Symptoms of Being Human? Or Audacity?

Yes, I understand: you like all of this mushy-gushy love stuff. Maybe it is like a happy place for you; an escape; a vacation. By all means, if you enjoy these books, then continue to read them. However, romanch books (and I don't want to break your heart) aren't always so great.

First of all, I feel like these books describe romances and events that would never really happen to teens. When would a teen have a successful romance with their childhood crush? When would a teen really have such a good relationship? How could a teen do all of the crazy things they do in these books? I just feel like it's a bit unrealistic, and might set ridiculous goals and expectations for teens and their relationships, school years, and accomplishments. (Although most books for teenagers do that anyway...)

Additionally, teen romance books might force the idea into our minds that romance is important; that love and being in a relationship is essential, and that we somehow need one to survive. You know, even books that aren't titled "romance novels" have romance in them. This, sadly, includes the books I enjoy. Audacity had the slightest bit of romance in it. So did Symptoms of Being Human, Openly Straight, the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I have to admit that sometimes, when reading other books, I groan when I find romance. Did the author really need this element? Couldn't we do without it? (Yeah, yeah: it helps with sales and attracting audiences. Whatever.)

Why should romance be incorporated in all of these books? What if someone isn't interested in love? Not now, or not ever? Like I said earlier, romance and love are not "everything", and there certainly are other ways that we can be happy in life.

Furthermore, I am not fond of teen romance novels due to some of the ideas in them, and the whole romance element itself. You have to be a really good writer to get me to like a romance between characters in the book, because honestly, I don't really care if they get together or not.

[What do you think?]

Like teen romance novels? Then check out this great teen romance! (Never Always Sometimes)
"'NEVER date your best friend. ALWAYS be original. SOMETIMES rules are meant to be broken.'

The prologue of this book, (and I love prologues!), starts when Dave and Julia, the two main characters in the book, are about to start high school the next day. They make a Never List, so that they will not become high school clichés. In the first chapter, it is March senior year, and they decide to break every single rule they have put on the list. But, secretly Dave has always liked Julia more than a best friend. . ." Read more

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)