Skip to main content

Book Review: Wink Poppy Midnight (Julia)

Title: Wink Poppy Midnight
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Genre: Mystery
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia


"Every story needs a hero. Every story needs a villain. Every story needs a secret....Two girls. One boy. One summer. One bad thing. What really happened? Someone knows. Someone is lying."                                                                           
[from the Synopsis of Wink Poppy Midnight]
Wink Poppy Midnight is very interesting to read, and while you may think that you know what is going on in the book, trust me: you don't. There is more going on then you'll think.

This novel is told from three characters' points of views: Wink, Poppy, and Midnight. Wink is the girl who lives on the farm with her many siblings and mother, and believes in spirits and readings and doesn't care much about what others think. Poppy is the beautiful girl whom almost everyone--including herself--loves. However, she is "ugly on the inside". Midnight is the boy who moves across the street from Wink and is caught in the middle of it all. In the middle of what, you ask? Well, you'll have to find out. ;)

In all honesty, after reading Wink Poppy Midnight, I didn't know what to think. The ending quite took me by surprise. The clues are subtle (unlike some Nancy Drew books and other mysteries that I have read), making it more difficult to predict the outcome and the truth about what really is going on. However, once I did discover the truth, it all made sense. The outcome, on the other hand, was a little less satisfying.

I'll have to be honest and tell you that I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending of the book. I was glad due to some events, but I was a little torn on others. I should probably accept that some books just end like this and not everything will always have to be perfect, and I doubt that there will be a sequel to this book, but if there was, I would surely read it! 

This book became popular on bookstagram. What's another bookstagram fave? Everything Everything.
"Everything Everything. This amazing book's main character is Madeline, or Maddy, Whittier. She has a rare condition that keeps her inside all her life, because she will die if she comes in contact with the world. When a boy her age, Olly, moves in next door, her whole world changes for good." Read more

Comments

  1. That's a bummer when a book has an unsatisfying ending! It kind of ruins the whole reading experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...