Skip to main content

Book Review: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents

Title: How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents
Author: Julia Alvarez
Genre: Historical Fiction
Rating: 5 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia



The Los Angeles Times said that this book is "Simply wonderful." The Washington Post Book World stated that it is "Movingly told." And now I'm here to add to the large amount of praise for this book.

How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents tells the story of the Garcia girls: four sisters, from oldest to youngest, named Carla, Sandra ("Sandi"), Yolanda ("Yo", "Yoyo", and "Joe"), and Sofia ("Fifi"). The Garcia Girls, as everyone refers to them, move to 1960 New York City when their father is discovered to have tried to overthrow the dictator of the Dominican Republic. When they do arrive at their new home, they are unhappy about how different life in the U.S. is compared to life in the Dominican Republic. However, they must face the truth that they cannot go back home, and that they must adjust to their new life whether they wanted to or not.


Anyone who has siblings would understand the arguments and bonds that comes with having such a relationship. You might feel like you hate one another at times, but in the end you realize that you really need your sibling when others won't be there. That's what the Garcia girls realize when things get tough. If you look close enough, you notice that they all have their own issues, and even if things might be hard and tension might be large, they still come back to each other to give and receive support and love.

What makes this book especially interesting though is that it is written in backwards chronological order. This means that it is the opposite of going in order; it is written from finish to end. Thus, readers are first introduced to the adult Garcia Girls (more like the Garcia Women), and the book then gradually transitions to the children they were on an island of the Dominican Republic. This unique way of formatting the book pulls you back and forces you to look at the past, and relates to the how the characters are constantly looking back into their pasts.

Sometimes I wish that I could go back to my past so that I can fall in love with this wonderful book all over again.

Check out this review on another one of Julia Alvarez's books: Book Review: In the Time of the Butterflies
"'It is November 25, 1960, and three beautiful sisters have been found near their wrecked Jeep at the bottom of a 150-foot cliff on the north coast of the Dominican Republic.' 
Who are these sisters? Why are they dead? What lead them to such a horrible death?' Read more

Comments

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Symptoms of Being Human

Title: Symptoms of Being Human Author: Jeff Garvin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Why is Symptoms of Being Human such a great book? I am not sure if I have enough space in this post to tell you all of the reasons why I love it. In general, this book by Jeff Garvin is so wonderful because of the "different-ness" of the book. Not every teen book you come across will address anxiety, depression, the LBGT+ community, friendships, bullying, and more in only 330 pages. Yet somehow, Garvin accomplishes this and so much more.

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?