Skip to main content

June 2016 Reflection


Even though June didn't go as planned for us at Reading is Inevitable, I think that it still was a pretty good month for us. I mean, of course it could be better, but it could have been worse, as well. We still are starting out here and still are trying to grow our audience on our blog and Instagram, and I think that, considering this, we are headed on the right track!

Looking Back Into June


The Blog
June was a good and bad month for the blog. The good thing is that we increased in the number of pageviews to our blog this month. The number of pageviews went up by about 13%. I know it's small but it's still an improvement. At least it didn't go down like last month!

The bad thing is that we had a lot of "filler posts" this month. This basically means posts other than what we really want to see: book reviews, discussions, etc. I had to publish a lot of list posts this month in order to keep the schedule of one post Monday and one post Friday. Of the eight posts I wrote and published this month, three of them are list posts and one is a (less popular) book tag, meaning that half of June's blog posts were not as good.

Instagram
On Instagram, we gained a good amount of new followers and hit 100 followers! I have also just started to try to take my own photos for our bookstagram, so we'll see how that goes. However, we also didn't complete the #grayajune2016 photo challenge. We started to fall behind and just sorta stopped. (Sorry!)

Goals
At the end of May in my May 2016 Reflection, I made three goals. They were the following:
Did I complete these goals? Let's see:
  1. Nope. I was not able to get Em interested in the blog its Instagram account. I did get her to take a few pictures in the beginning, but after that, she didn't do anything. No pictures, and no posts. We both know that she'll probably never write a blog post again, but it was agreed that she will take some pictures. 
  2. I did succeed with this goal. We have gained 47 new followers since May.
  3. As for the last goal, I am happy to say that I managed to write and publish a post for every Monday and Friday of June. 

Coming up in July


The Blog
I have hardly anything planned for the blog in July...and that's not good! In all honesty, I really am behind on things, and my poor online blogging planner is suffering from not being used. Last time I said that I would have a bookshelf tour in June, and since that didn't happen this past month, I plan on doing it this month. I should also have book reviews on How Many Letters Are in Goodbye? and Quiet Power: The Secret Strengths of Introverts. Other than that, I don't have anything planned, so I'll have to do some thinking!

Instagram
Last month we tried to participate in a photo challenge, and while that didn't work last month, I would really like to participate in another one! We finally decided (last minute) on doing @sammyreadsbooks' July bookstagram challenge (#sammyreadsjuly16).

Goals for July

  1. Write better posts (less "filler posts"). I really want to improve the quality of our blog, and I think that all of these easy-to-write list posts are not making it better. Thus, in July, I hope to have more book reviews, discussions, maybe a bookshelf tour...things that I know I would rather see on a book blog!
  2. Take more of my own pictures. Sadly, Em is getting less and less interested in the blog, and it can be hard to get her to take pictures. I know that she doesn't like me taking pictures, but if she isn't going to take them I think that I might as well take my own! (That means less of those bad pictures of me simply putting text over an old photo!) I hope that this will help our bookstagram.
  3. Get Em more interested in the blog. Like I have said countless times, Em really isn't interested in the blog. (Every time I mention it she groans!) I would like her to be interested in it, though. It feels like I'm running this whole thing on my own! It's supposed to be our blog, not mine!
That wraps up our June 2016 Reflection! Click on the monthly reflection tag at the end of this post to see more of our monthly reflections where we track our growth and progress. And don't forget to check July's reflection to see how we are growing! 

Comments

  1. I'm a beginning blogger, too, and am learning a lot from you. I like how you turned a critical but not harsh eye on your blog so that you could learn from yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on

2017 Reading Goals

So, since 2017 is officially here (and has been for about two weeks), I figured I might as well post about our reading goals for the year! I'll also attempt figuring out all of the books I read in 2016, but I know it'll be far from accurate as I did not write it down and I know I won't remember everything! For 2016, I actually didn't make any reading goals. I just wanted to finish one book a month, I guess! I can happily say that I did complete this very small goal of mine. (Some people aim for 100 books a year!)

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.