Skip to main content

Good LGBT+ Books (Pride Month 2016)


Happy Pride Month, everyone! (That is, if you are in the United States.) Yes, that's right: in the US, it is pride month. Yesterday, it was officially one year since gay marriage was legalized in the United States, making it one year and one day today. In celebration of this, I have formed this post: a post on some good LGBT+ books. I have also made a list of LGBT+ books that I have not read but look good, so you may check that out, too.

(Note: I apologize for all of these list posts and such - "filler posts", as I sometimes call them. Don't worry, for next Monday there should be a book review up on the blog; can't do it this Friday because that'll be our monthly reflection. If you have any suggestions for posts, feel free to tell me. I am always looking for post ideas!)

1. Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
This is the first LGBT+ book that I have read. (I have read some other books before this where LGBT+ was a small subcategory, but this was the first with it being a big part of the book.) I did think that it was a good book (I will reread it so that I can give it a proper review), even if I was a little upset with Rafe (the main character) due to some of his decisions. Particularly the decision which describes a big portion of the book, which is his decision to not tell any of his new classmates that he is gay. Not only does he not mention it (which would be fine), but he lies and implies that he likes girls, which really got me mad. I still thought it was a great book, though. Em agrees.

2. Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
This was the second book that I have read with a main LGBT+ theme. (Kinda going in chronological order, here.) Symptoms of Being Human has a genderfluid individual named Riley as the narrator and main character. The book follows Riley as they try to navigate a new school, new classmates (who could be good or bad), and their dad's public job as a congressman, all while dealing with their identity. Riley's therapist suggests that they start a blog to help deal with stress and pressure, and when they do this, they don't expect the amount of attention that it gets. What I really like about this book is that it shows that, even if Riley is genderfluid, they are still human. To read my full book review on Symptoms of Being Human, click here.

3. Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen by Jazz Jennings
Unlike the other books I have listed so far, this one is not fiction and is actually a memoir written by Jazz Jennings, a transgender teen who has become a strong voice in the LGBT+ community for LGBT+ youth. I have to be honest when I say that I haven't actually started it yet. I have, however, read a bit of the first chapter and have been looking forward towards its release. In the book, she discusses some hardships and challenges that she has faced being transgender, and guides readers along her journey.

The next two books are books where a LGBT+ theme is present but not as large.

4. Rumble by Ellen Hopkins
Like most other LGBT+ books for teens that I have seen, this one includes the LGBT+ community with the subject of gay individuals. But that's okay. Anyway, moving on, in this book, the main character/narrator, Matt, had a gay brother who unfortunately committed suicide after being bullied nonstop for his sexuality. Not only does the book say that being gay is alright through this tragic event, but Hopkins also brings up the topic again when the a few students at Matt's school, along with a few parents, try to ban books with gay content from the school. The book is mostly about Matt trying to accept what happened and to overcome the guilt he bears. To read my full book review on Rumble, click here.

5. How Many Letters Are in Goodbye? by Yvonne Cassidy
Rhea, the main character of How Many Letters Are in Goodbye? is a lesbian who has a hard time accepting this fact. Not only is there that, but she also has run away from "home" (if she can even call it that), lost both of her parents, and lives life with only a portion of her right arm due to a childhood accident. This book is about self-discovery, and I am currently making my way through it. There should be a book review on it publishing next Monday, if I stick to the schedule.

The following are some LGBT+ books that I am thinking about reading.

The Inside of Out
The Art of Being Normal
Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel

Comments

  1. I was in London recently and happened to be there during their Pride Day - such a joyful group. And London had welcomed the celebrants by changing their street lights. Instead of lighting up as a green person walking, the lights showed a green heart, or two green female (or male) symbols. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Book Review: Symptoms of Being Human

Title: Symptoms of Being Human Author: Jeff Garvin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Why is Symptoms of Being Human such a great book? I am not sure if I have enough space in this post to tell you all of the reasons why I love it. In general, this book by Jeff Garvin is so wonderful because of the "different-ness" of the book. Not every teen book you come across will address anxiety, depression, the LBGT+ community, friendships, bullying, and more in only 330 pages. Yet somehow, Garvin accomplishes this and so much more.