Skip to main content

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends
Author: Marieke Nijkamp
Rating: 4.15 out of 5
Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction
Reviewer: Em

"Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun."

This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.

I know I say this a lot, but I love how this book is realistic. No one gets the perfect ending you find in fairy tales. Their emotions throughout the book and events describe how I'd imagine I would feel. Changing perspectives are also a thing that I adore. I love how you get to see how many characters are feeling and reacting to similar and different scenarios.

When you read this book, you get the feeling, although scary, on being there yourself, and you realize, anything this tragic could happen to you. These things don't just happen in books and on the news, and it gives you a sense of gratefulness for what you have already, and how lucky you really are.

Claire is outside of the school when it happens. She takes the position of a leader to try to help the people inside the school, including her brother. Although her parts weren't my favorite in the story, they were still good, and her hopelessness she felt in the story to save her brother is a feeling that everyone can relate to if they were in her situation.

Tomás is in a similar situation as Claire. He is outside of the auditorium when he hears shots being fired. He first thinks of his sister, Sylv, who is in the auditorium. He feels the desperate need to protect her, because as he says "I can't fail her again." He is probably my favorite character in the book because of his crafty and heroic personality. His love for his sister he had barely spoken to in a while is heartbreaking and adorable. He and his friend, Far, decide to go straight into action to save their classmates, no matter the danger it puts them in.

Autumn feels the strongest connection towards the shooter. She knows him, and can't believe it is him. She feels grief in knowing that the boy in front of her is not who he really is, and she has to deal with all the guilty looks thrown at her because she knows him. She wants to protect everyone, her classmates, Sylv, and the boy with the gun, but how can she?

Sylv has a certain fear that no one but her feels. She feels frozen in place. Even before he came to school that day with a gun, she had always been afraid of him, and now he was here. She wants to protect Autumn more than anyone else.

With the topic of this book so tragic, with emotions running right through it and the fear of all the characters thinking this could be the end, this book is a great read that I think everyone should try to make the time to read. You get an inside look on a fictional story on a topic you have heard too much about.

Look at another one of Em's book reviews, Book Review: This is Where the World Ends!
"Janie and Micah have been secret best friends for a long time. However, in the beginning of the book, Micah wakes up in the hospital, not remembering anything after the day Janie moved across town. What happened to him? What happened to her? That's what he has to find out.

This book is told in both of their perspectives. Similar to my latest review, I'll Give You the Sun, Micah tells his story "after", when he can't remember what has happened, and Janie tells the story "before", when they are best friends. As Micah starts remembering the past, you start to learn about it too.

This book was definitely..." Read more

Comments

  1. Wow! Five hour of reading straight -- that is one long reading session. Glad you enjoyed the book! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a riveting book! I wish this topic were not so timely, though. I wish you did not have to think about guns in schools. In Switzerland and the rest of Western Europe, they have 1/4 the number of guns per capita that we do... or less.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: Audacity

Title: Audacity Author: Melanie Crowder Genre: Historical Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia Credit for the picture of the cover goes to www.penguinrandomhouse.com. Hello, everyone! First of all, how do you all like our new look? The old one was a little too dark and we wanted something more "light" and "fresh". So say good-bye to the old pink flowers and hello to this new gray-purple-blue theme! (I think of it as the "Iceberg Theme".) Anyway, moving on, I don't know if you recall, but about three weeks ago I published a post on this book:  "Quotes: Audacity" , and has somehow hit #1 for this month's most popular posts, so thank-you for that! It shared a few of my favorite quotes from this lovely book. I quickly finished the book after writing the post, so now I am writing a review on it! One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...

Book Review: Made You Up

Title: Made You Up Author: Francesca Zappia Rating: 5/5 Genre: YA fiction Reviewer: Emily "'But-but what if this whole place"-I had to suck in air again-'what if everything is inside my head? East Shoal and Scarlet and this bridge and you-what if you're not real because nothing is real?'" This book is told from the point of view of Alex, a high school senior with schizophrenia, which is a mental disease which causes you to have hallucinations, or see or hear things that are not real. She constantly struggles with trying to figure out what is real. Starting her first day of senior year at a new high school, she takes pictures of possible hallucinations, and hopes that no one will ever find out about her. However, there's this boy that looks exactly like her childhood friend, but she had surely made him up, hadn't she?

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Title: Beautiful Creatures Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl Genre: Romantic Fantasy? Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia YOUR FATE: to read Beautiful Creatures Fate certainly plays a large role in this book. Every character in this book deals with fate, but if anyone deals with it the most, that would have to be Lena Duchannes. After all, she's the one who will be Claimed on her 16th birthday by the Light or the Dark, whether she likes it or not. There's no way that she can escape her fate, whatever it may be. And she's convinced that she will turn Dark. But Ethan won't let that happen.