Skip to main content

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Title: Beautiful Creatures
Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Genre: Romantic Fantasy?
Rating: 3.75 out of 5
Reviewer: Julia


YOUR FATE:
to read Beautiful Creatures

Fate certainly plays a large role in this book. Every character in this book deals with fate, but if anyone deals with it the most, that would have to be Lena Duchannes. After all, she's the one who will be Claimed on her 16th birthday by the Light or the Dark, whether she likes it or not. There's no way that she can escape her fate, whatever it may be. And she's convinced that she will turn Dark.

But Ethan won't let that happen.

Ethan? Who's Ethan, you ask? He's just the teenage boy who has lived in the town of Gatlin his entire life, and is desperately itching to get out of it; to go somewhere new. The thing is, nothing new ever happens in Gatlin. Nothing is unexpected. That is, until Lena moves into town. Ethan is instantly drawn to her due to this factor, but is it possible that something more than that is pulling them together?

I don't normally read fantasy books or romance books, but I enjoyed this book, and this one was both. The romance, though small, was still a little too much for me! I doubt that it will be too much for most teens, however...you all are romance-lovers, not that there's anything wrong with that! As for the fantasy part, I think that it was just the right amount for someone not so used to reading fantasy. This book had magic and other make-believe things (or real things, for all of you believers), but still a good amount of theme and lessons for me!

Why should read this book? You mean other than the interesting plot, romance, and fantasy? Well, I liked a theme found in the book, there was some great poetry, it's a part of a series, even my social studies/history (whichever you prefer) teacher loves the book and series, and there's a movie adaptation of it. I actually have seen the movie, and let me tell you this: the book was better.

--Julia



Don't like this book? Perhaps you will like Audacity:
"One of the reasons why I loved this book so much was because...It is written in free verse! When books are written in free verse they are always so beautiful! The same goes for this book. I always love to read the poems and to think about them (there is usually something more behind poems). I also liked to notice the patterns in the lines of free verse. 
Clearly, the structure of the book certainly made it much more enjoyable for me. Still, I liked it for other reasons, such as the story itself. The book is about Clara Lemlich, who is a determined young Jewish woman. In the beginning of the novel, she lives in Russia with her family. She plays the role that is expected of her, but..." Read more

Comments

  1. I really should read this book -- I already LOVE the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Quotes: The Nightingale

I realized that, over a year ago, I wrote a post called "Quotes: Audacity" , and that this post did really well (it's actually Reading is Inevitable's most read post!), and yet I never wrote another post of quotes from a book. I liked writing that post, too. I like sharing quotes I like from books. That's why I started doing it on our bookstagram page . So why did I never write another one of these "quote blog posts"? I don't know. But I intend to write at least another one. And that's why I'm here today. Well, there's that, and then there's also the amazing book that is The Nightingale.  If you've read some of my recent blog posts or have poked around a bit, you would know that exactly a month ago I published my book review on The Nightingale , in which I explained my love for it and why you should read it yourself. And while I actually have another post in the works on that book because it definitely deserves more than on...

Book Review: The Nightingale

Title:  The Nightingale Author:  Kristin Hannah Genre:  Historical Fiction Rating: 5 out of 5 ★★★★★ Reviewer:  Julia If you know anything about books, I'm sure that you've heard of this one, Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale . It was popular on bookstagram around the time of its release and is actually the author's favorite book that she has written. It's so good that there's even going to be a movie adaptation that will be released a few days shy of the book's four-year anniversary. (So it's coming out in 2019. A bit of a wait; drats.) BUT, that does not mean that you should hold off reading this amazing book. Because you shouldn't. You should read it right now. Do you need some more reasons? The Nightingale  tells the story of two sisters in Nazi-occupied France. After a difficult childhood and years of healing and trying to forget, Vianne has to watch as her happy life is uprooted. Her husband leaves to fight in the war. The Nazis invad...

Why I Need a Book-Buying Ban

I love books. I mean, you have to know that, right? After all, I have a whole blog dedicated to books. There's also a good chance you came from the bookstagram account I co-run with my sister, so you would also know how much I talk about books over there. (It is a book stagram.) And there definitely isn't anything wrong with liking books. My mom actually said recently that she's glad I'd rather buy books than some other stuff kids my age want, whatever that may be. Except there's a problem with liking books too much: You end up buying a lot of them. Sure, I don't have as many books as others do. I've seen people dedicate three or four shelves just for their TBR books. But I still have over 20, a number that makes Em, someone who practically finishes a book days after buying it, shudder and shake her head. And now I've begun to shake my head, too. Yes, having a lot of books gives me options when it's time to pick a new one to read. Even...

Dear Readers - I'm Taking a Break

Hi, everyone. I guess you've read the title by now, which means I've got some explaining to do. As you may or may not know, I've been writing on this blog for somewhere around a year and a half now. In the beginning, I was very involved. I hadn't had an active blog for a few years, and the whole thing felt new again. I started out by writing book reviews on books I had recently read, and from there had time to finish other books and write reviews on them. And things were going well in the beginning. Even though Em dropped out after a short bit of time, I still kept this blog going.  And then something happened.  I just... started getting busier. I had less time to write posts and I had less books to review as I started reading less. I started to take these unannounced breaks where I'd just disappear for a bit. During those times I wasn't even sure myself when I'd come back to blogging, but I'd always come back at some point. Usually I'd ...