Skip to main content

Book Review: This is Where the World Ends

Title: This is Where the World Ends
Author: Amy Zhang
Rating: 3.75
Genre: YA fiction romance/mystery
Reviewer: Em



Janie and Micah have been secret best friends for a long time. However, in the beginning of the book, Micah wakes up in the hospital, not remembering anything after the day Janie moved across town. What happened to him? What happened to her? That's what he has to find out.

This book is told in both of their perspectives. Similar to my latest review, I'll Give You the Sun, Micah tells his story "after", when he can't remember what has happened, and Janie tells the story "before", when they are best friends. As Micah starts remembering the past, you start to learn about it too.

This book was definitely interesting. Out of all the books I looked at at my local Barnes & Nobel, this was my first pick to purchase. I read in less than 24 hours of purchasing it. It grabbed me until the end. The characters were so detailed and adorable. Anyone would want to strive for a friendship like Janie and Micah's. Micah and Janie's.

I really liked how the point of views matched up with how the characters were feeling. For example, when Micah wasn't necessarily with it, it was sorta of confusing, but in a good, realistic, way. If you plan on reading this book, be prepared to be shocked and heartbroken. It was something I definitely did not expect at all.

The reason why this book is not rated super highly is for several reasons. For one, although his book was really good, and I recommend it completely, no parts made me cry, or laugh out loud, and so forth. Also, I have a problem with it similar to the one I had with Paper Towns by John Green. It is not a book I would read again, for reasons I will state. For the entirety of the book, the mystery of what happened to Janie and the events after her moving consumed most of the pages of the book. However, now that I have completed the book, and know what happened, it no longer remains interesting to me.

It could just be me, but I felt that the story needed that mystery. There is not to much left of the story if you take that huge chunk out of it. This is why this book was rated lower than some other novels I have reviewed, but it is still a great book, and I am happy to add it to my collection. It has some quirks to it that others just can't beat!

Like books with different points of view? Then be sure to check out another book with different points of view, How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents.
"How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents tells the story of the Garcia girls: four sisters, from oldest to youngest, named Carla, Sandra ("Sandi"), Yolanda ("Yo", "Yoyo", and "Joe"), and Sofia ("Fifi"). The Garcia Girls, as everyone refers to them, move to 1960 New York City when their father is discovered to have tried to overthrow the dictator of the Dominican Republic. When they do arrive at their new home, they are unhappy about how different life in the U.S. is compared to life in the Dominican Republic. However, they must face the truth that they cannot go back home, and that they must..." Read more

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good book. But I agree with you that mysteries aren't as interesting to read a second time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would like to hear from you! What did you think of this post? Do you have any suggestions? Then please leave a comment. (We allow anonymous comments too!)

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.