Skip to main content

Julia's Bookshelf Tour: August 2016; Part 2


This past Friday, I shared with you the top shelf of my little bookshelf and gave you some information on the books pictured. But that was only my top shelf. Now I am going to show you the rest of my bookcase.

For now, my bottom shelf is where I keep a lot of my series together. As you can probably see, every book in my bottom shelf, save one on the bottom of my Nancy Drew stack, is a part of a series or group of companion novels.

The book that is on the bottom of my Nancy Drew stack is one of the Hardy Boys books, specifically book #97, part of the 131 books that make up the continuation of the original series, Cast of Criminals. While I didn't particularly enjoy the book that much (not very interesting, a bit predictable...more explained in my book review), it is special to me because of how I acquired the book. Em gave it to me as a birthday present. She got it from our school library when they were getting rid of old books.

On top of my copy of Cast of Criminals is my small (in comparison to the size of the full series) collection of Nancy Drew books. I have The Secret of the Old Clock (book 1), The Mystery at Lilac Inn (book 4), The Secret of Shadow Ranch (book 5), The Secret of Red Gate Farm (book 6), The Clue in the Diary (book 7), Nancy's Mysterious Letter (book 8), The Whispering Statue (book 14), Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (book 17), and The Invisible Intruder (book 46), although I have read more. (These are just the ones that I own!) It's been some time since I have last read these books (excluding The Whispering Statue, which I'll get to in a bit), but last I read them, I enjoyed book 4, The Mystery at Lilac Inn the most. 


The Whispering Statue, as you may have noticed, is not like the other Nancy Drew books that I own. It is a different color, older looking, and has some stickers and such on the spine. That is because this book is another one that Em got for me from our school library. It actually has the word DISCARD stamped on the front (poor book!) and is almost 50 years old.


Since I didn't have room for them anywhere else in my bookcase, I placed my Percy Jackson and the Olympians books on top of the Nancy Drew ones. I have all five of them, but only The Lightning Thief, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, and The Last Olympian are there because I don't know where my copy of The Sea of Monsters is. I did enjoy the series when I was first reading them, and even got up half an hour early on school days just so I could read. Not sure what my favorite book would be, but I do know that my least favorite would have to be the last book, The Last Olympian. For me, there were too many battles, and you sorta knew what was going to happen.


Standing next to this huge stack of books that I have created are my books by Carl Hiaasen. They are Hoot, Flush, Scat, and Chomp, and all are connected with their ideas on endangered animals. Something that I remember about the books when reading them was that I was scared to tell my parents about them just because they contained a few curse words. Whenever someone would ask me what I was reading, I would blush fiercely and not say much. 


Lastly, I have a few Heroes of Olympus books. I have the last three books in the series: The Mark of Athena, The House of Hades, and The Blood of Olympus. These books are a part of the follow-up series to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Out of the five books in the "HOO" (Heroes of Olympus) series, my favorite was The Mark of Athena, probably because of Annabeth's strong independence.

That wraps up my bookshelf tour for August 2016! Of course, these aren't all of my books (hehe), but just the few that made it into my bookshelf. I know that my bookshelf will probably be changed again by the end of this month, for it is always changing. (I also think that my current read might make it to my top shelf.) For more updates on my shelves, you can check our Instagram, but I probably will not be doing another full-blown bookshelf tour for a few months. Until then!

Comments

This Month's Popular Posts

Welcome

Welcome to Reading is Inevitable! This blog is run by two teens--Em and Julia--and will mainly be about books, but will also include posts about art, games, and whatever else comes up in our lives! Our first actual post will be posting tomorrow (it will be a book review!) and we would love for you all to check it out! We also have an Instagram page ( @readingisinevitable ) and an e-mail address ( readingisinevitable@gmail.com ), so if you wish to contact us, please do so through one of those or through the comments section. Now, we could just leave it at that, but we think that it would be nice for you to get to know us a bit more first!

Book Review: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes

Title: The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes Author:  Anna McPartlin Genre: Realistic Fiction Rating: 4 out of 5 Reviewer: Julia I can't believe how amazingly wonderful this book is. I can't believe that I put off reading it for so long. (I've had the book sitting with my other TBR books for at least a year now.) This book is beautiful and so well written, and it snagged at my heart, bringing a few tears to my eyes.

Quotes: Audacity

As some of you may know by looking at my posts on our social media page (@readingisinevitable on Instagram), I am currently reading Audacity by Melanie Crowder. It is a beautiful book written in free verse, and follows the life of Clara Lemlich, a female Jewish immigrant who came to America in the early 1900s. (For the full summary of the book, click here .) I absolutely love books written in free verse, or any type of poetry, in fact! This book is so lovely that I have decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite quotes or parts! (Note: I am only on page 294, and there are 366 pages, not including the extra content at the end of my local library's copy.)

Book Review: This is Where it Ends

Title: This is Where it Ends Author: Marieke Nijkamp Rating: 4.15 out of 5 Genre:  YA Realistic Fiction Reviewer: Em "Everyone has a reason to fear the boy with the gun." This book is incredibly interesting. After you read the title and the inside cover, you already want to sit down and read it all they way through. Why else would I read it for five hours on a weekday, and then read another hour the next day to finish it? This story is told from four different perspectives, and the story happens over fifty-four minutes. It is about four seniors starting a new semester when a familiar face becomes a school shooter.